Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans Pelvi. subocellatus

Pelvi. subocellatus

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:44 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I am a happy and content person. I have a mated pair of Pelvicachromis subocellatus in my someday Congo biotope. Got the pair from Nick. They're about a year old. Haven't done the dirty deed yet, but I hear they keep threatening to. I've seen them and they are gorgeous. Currently, they're gray and butt ugly. But I know their true colors. :D Nick, thanks! I'm really pleased to have them.

I really really love Pelvicachromis.

mk
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Nice choice in fish.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm
hobbyist91er1 User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Your welcome.
There gonna be happy in your tank. They do dig a little. Mostly around there cave or dwelling.
"It's bigger on the inside"

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:48 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Passionfish, that's the nicest thing you've said to me. And coming from you that's a big compliment. Thank you.

Hobbyest, he 'tasted' his new rock as soon as he got in. They're pretty miserable right now as the plants are just floating - my last plant order should come today and then I can plant. But I think they'll be happy. They are sssssooooooo cute! I love their little 'mad' faces and they're hump of a nose. And of course, they are beautiful fish. I'd love a tank of nothing but Pelvies. She's not as frightened. Ha! :D She had started to color up and was looking pretty fine. What I love best and wanted so much are the SPOTS!!!! I just love their spots. My favorite part.

My little Pelvies are sssssooooo cccccuuuttttteeee!

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:59 pm
hobbyist91er1 User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Im glad they went to someone that can really enjoy them.
"It's bigger on the inside"

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:26 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

They are the highlight of my biotope. It's definitely the Pelvies. Everything else is a backdrop, prop, for them. If there were no Pelvies, I'd not be doing a Congo biotope. I first saw my first Pelvie back in... What? 97? 98? Somewhere around there. And I decided I wanted a community tank, but one that fit a Pelvicachromis. That's when I learned about biotopes and have wanted to do one ever since. Just for the pelvies. But adding other fish: community tank. So a biotope it was going to be.

Someday it's going to be pretty. (Someday.)

Yes, I enjoy my Pelvies. They and Plecos and catfish are my favorite fish. I like to watch the Pelvies; they have snooty personalities. Or maybe it's just their face that looks like, "Yeah, man! Wanna fight? I'm gonna gitcha!" They look so hoity-toity. They look royally snooty. I don't know. Just my opinion.

I like that I put them in AFTER the Congo tetras had settled in. Will keep Mr. from getting too uppity. Mrs. is still partially colored up. :D

Post Wed May 14, 2014 9:41 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I lost my female subocellatus. I have no idea what happened to her. Lost as in can't find her or her body. Don't think hiding in cabana as the male is just floating around and ignoring the small Kribs. He's definitely not guarding squat.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Post Wed May 14, 2014 10:16 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

She was in one of the really small cabanas!!!!!!!!!!!! She was in there for like HOURS and never peeked out! Oh, thank goodness! I was so upset! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post Wed May 14, 2014 10:34 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Now He's about and chasing. I tell you, if She's laid eggs I've no idea what's going to happen. He can't get through the door. She can as She's smaller, but He can't. This is definitely different behavior on Her part as - and it's how I missed Her - she's usually following Him around the tank. I wonder if there are eggs...

Post Wed May 14, 2014 5:36 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I don't know why I bid so feverishly to win my three terracotta cabanas for the subocellatus. They have abandoned all three and have dug a cave under one of my big flat rocks. Quite the steep entry ramp on their new home. This is much different than anything they have ever done. They're not eating either. I will expire from xcitement if they have fry!

Post Wed May 14, 2014 6:50 pm
Level 20 Member

mke wrote:
She was in one of the really small cabanas!!!!!!!!!!!! She was in there for like HOURS and never peeked out! Oh, thank goodness! I was so upset! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

$10 says there are eggs in this cave.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed May 14, 2014 6:53 pm
Level 20 Member

mke wrote:
Now He's about and chasing. I tell you, if She's laid eggs I've no idea what's going to happen. He can't get through the door. She can as She's smaller, but He can't. This is definitely different behavior on Her part as - and it's how I missed Her - she's usually following Him around the tank. I wonder if there are eggs...

He does not have to get in. His milt is kinda of like Mark Spitz. If the milt does not swim into the cave, fem is likely fanning and pulling milt into cave.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu May 15, 2014 9:56 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

How did you know that?! She comes to the edge of the cave and huffs and puffs and just beats her 'arm' fins as hard as she can (I was afraid the tank needed changing, but I just did it yesterday). Then turns around and goes back inside. He just hangs on the front porch by the steep entry way. I went over to look at them and he was at the very far end of the tank. Man! You never saw a fish high-tail it back to a front porch so fast in your life.

I'm sorry I missed them xcavating the steep driveway. That would have been very interesting to watch.

It's ssssoooo funny. Yesterday when I did a water change, the water ended up going in way colder than I meant it to. I wonder if that contributed to these guys going all parental on me? I've always read that works with Cories. I never meant to induce spawning, but if they are I'll take it!

If I have babies I will be SSSSSSOOOOOOO PROUD!!!

Post Thu May 15, 2014 5:33 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

She's spent all day in the terracotta cabana she originally was in yesterday until they built the cave under the rock. Just recently she'd been going back and forth from the terracotta cabana to the dug cave. Neither one ate brine shrimp earlier today.

I guess tomorrow I'll go out and get two sponge filters and get them going.

Post Fri May 16, 2014 8:58 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Last night I unplugged the power filter closest to the dug cave with steep driveway. Because it's REALLY CLOSE to the cave.

Today I'm going to get two sponge filters and a really small tank. I'm not so much afraid the 'rents will eat the fry as I am that the Congo tetras will. I know what I can do!!! I'll put the Congo tetras in the small tank! They'll be easier to net.

Will try and get some fry food. Will get some eggs at the grocery store so I can boil some and do the "yolk swish."

Anything else? Oh! Small heater.

I'm afraid they will have fry. I'm afraid they won't have fry.

I'd like to just ignore everything and see what happens as I don't know what I'm doing. But every time I think of that I feel so guilty and bad. Difficult or not the fry are still living creatures. It behooves me to do the best I can for them.

Edit: Should I put Methalane (sp. I know how to pronounce it and know what I mean.) Blue in the water to try to keep any eggs from getting fungus?

Thanks!!!

mk

Next

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans