Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans Raising substrate spawners w/out parents?

Raising substrate spawners w/out parents?

Moderator: Moderators

eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I have two pair of Anomalochromis thomasi which spawn frequently, but so far I've only seen wigglers once and the adults have never raised fry to free-swimming stage. Just now I noticed a spawn on a removable object (the inside of a flower pot) so I pulled out the pot and stuck it in an empty 10 gallon. Right now I have the pot upright with a sponge filter bubbling inside the pot to keep a little bit of circulation on the eggs. The eggs are eyed up and clearly fertile -- hopefully they survived the change water conditions between the two tanks.

I've never raised baby cichlids myself, having always left the job to other cichlids :) Will the wigglers be fine flopping around on the bottom of the tank until they're ready to swim, or do I need to take more heroic measures to protect them from fungus, snails, etc?

1-2ride User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

They'll be fine flopping around unless they fungus. I always let the parents (nature) do the work whether they are egg layers or mouthbrooders. That's half the fun.

cnrohyes User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

I would put a little methylene blue in there to prevent fungus.

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans