Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans tomatoes sp.35 with Kenyi's is it possible

tomatoes sp.35 with Kenyi's is it possible

Moderator: Moderators

hobbyist91er1 User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I know their from different lakes, I'm wondering about the temperment side of things. What would be the issue. Would they just kill each other. Their both pretty dominate. Let me know your thoughts.
"It's bigger on the inside"

Cloud20 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

It is definitely possible. Both species can be quite aggressive but I would expect them to show their aggression towards their own species before attacking each other. I've kept vics with malawians with minimal issues. The aggression may change depending on the M/F ratio as well as space in the tank for territory and also some fish, regardless of species, will just raise hell on anything else in the tank with them. It might work out fine from the get go and it also may be trial and error but it'll probably be pretty hairy when you first put them together until their pecking order is established. You'll find something that works, good luck!

loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree. This seems fairly doable. I've had vics and mbuna together many times. Yeah, you'll deal with aggression issues, but that's the case with most vics and most mbuna.

People tend to say, "oh, no, you can't do this and you can't do that." Realistically, my one rule of thumb with old world cichlids is to pack them in. If you put 6 fish in a 55, you'll constantly deal with harassed fish. Put 15-20 in there, and you're golden. Just plan on going overboard with filtration and water changes.

Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

That's what I was thinking.

jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

tomatoes are mellow as to other vics
upper midwest victorian preservist

Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Update.
Kennyi whooped it.
Now we know.

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Older kenyis develop nasty attitudes and are hard to keep with anything.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:01 pm
Michaelmut User avatar
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I started this tank a few months ago. I have 3 Flamebacks, 3 Tomatoes and some fry that are growing fast. My 2 female flamebacks are both holding now. Here are some pics of my fish:

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans