Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans Astatotilapia calliptera

Astatotilapia calliptera

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:32 pm
juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

So I purchased a group of these guys at last months meeting. They are now MAYBE 2" probably about 1.75". I already have a female holding as of today. Is it common for them to breed at this size??

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 pm
fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

Jason has a pic of a female holding the size of a quarter. It's his MCA avatar. It's a wonder they could be threatened by the Nile Perch in their home waters because they are so prolific.
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:01 pm
Cloud20 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

From what I know and have seen with Astatotilapia Calliptera they are a very prolific species. I've seen females holding when they're only 2in. and I've seen females have a mouthful of 60+ fry. I'm not sure if it's common for them to breed that young but I know it happens.

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 pm
juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I stripped her, close to 60 eggs. 56 to be exact I think

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:12 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Common in aquaria yes. In nature, I doubt it.

Do not unload the breeders until you see male in full breeding coloration. Definitely one of the most beautiful breeding dress of all cichlids.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:04 pm
MrCichlid User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Yes a beautiful fish indeed...and I have some more available from same spawn if anyone is interested. Congrats on such an early spawn.
- Rick

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:08 pm
jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

good job with the spawn and yes MOST of my fish breed about or just at 1.5 inchs
upper midwest victorian preservist

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans