Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans Steatocranus irvinei spawn.... Maybe???

Steatocranus irvinei spawn.... Maybe???

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:06 pm
juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

So I have a pair of irvinei in a tank with some cichlid stones and a large arch shaped cave (that's impossible to see in) that the male has claimed as his own since I put them in the tank. He would not let the female anywhere near his cave. A few days ago I noticed the female was nowhere to be found and the male would not come out of his cave even to eat. Today is the first time I've seen him out since and he still does not go very far from the cave. Still no sign of the female. I've checked around the tank and there are no crispy carpet critters, it does have a full lid on it anyways. My dilemma is do I assume she went into his cave and got brutally murdered and turn the arch over to look for a ball of fungus or should I assume she's sitting on a clutch of eggs?? Curiosity is killing me.

mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I would wait longer, i think if she died in there he would have dragged the corpse out by now. Fingers crossed for you :)

fisher User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Sounds like you have some wigglers on the way. I agree with mrmann, i don't think he'd tolerate her corpse in his living room. Awesome, congrats!(I'll feel like a jack ... if i'm wrong though. lol)
The more i learn, the more i realize i have alot to learn.

juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I'm probably going to wait a couple more days. Ive read it takes 5-6 days for the eggs to hatch. Anyone know if this is correct?

juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Two words: brutally murdered :evil: :evil:

mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

So sorry for the loss....was hoping for a better outcome.

juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Yeah I was as well. There's always next time.

fisher User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Yep, i feel like a jack... , sorry .
The more i learn, the more i realize i have alot to learn.

juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

No worries

Westen6 User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

How big was the tank that you had them in? I have a pair of my own and they are quite picky breeders. Mine have only had one brood and that was months ago. The male will etablish his territory first. For a few weeks when my male was making his terreitory, he didn't tolerate the female near it. After a while, he allowed her in and they gaurded the cave for a while. It's possible that he just changed his mind about her being in there or she put up a fight and it was too much? Either way, sorry for the loss...

juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

They were in a 40b with a handful of black occies. The occies never bothered the irvinei and irvinei never bothered the occies. He just had it out for that female. Maybe she had a bad attitude?? Anyhow, I'd like to come get some more from you if yours happen to spawn again :wink:

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Sorry for the loss.
Like a complete unknown

juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thanks bob. I'm going to need to fill up some tanks in a couple of weeks, may have to come visit :D

Westen6 User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

juliec1 wrote:
They were in a 40b with a handful of black occies. The occies never bothered the irvinei and irvinei never bothered the occies. He just had it out for that female. Maybe she had a bad attitude?? Anyhow, I'd like to come get some more from you if yours happen to spawn again :wink:

I will definately let you know when they spawn again. No problem!

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans