Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans Paretroplus menarambo advices?

Paretroplus menarambo advices?

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:19 am
alkoholik Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I want to do this the right way first time around. Any tips or tricks to breed these guys? How did you setup aquarium?

Bob - If I remember right, you had them in the 180 with 2 large pots. Since these were yours a couple years back.....Did you rear the frys or let parents do the job?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:27 pm
1-2ride User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Never kept them but these are sweet fish that i would like to own some day. I know they are not easy to breed. Bob's were/are very nice.

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:57 pm
alkoholik Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Well after the first night they seem to be fine in the tank together. Planning to put more driftwood and rocks in there. A little aggression towards oddball male. I have a carpintis and blood parrot in there with them.

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:53 pm
1-2ride User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

those fish are not even from the same continent, you may want to seperate them....i dont know maybe its just me but i dont like mixing fish from different places

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:01 pm
alkoholik Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Well....thats all I have to put in there for now. I dont like mixing different continent species either. Needed something to take aggression off each other. And its working. :D But now looking for some hmmmm what that fish now.......oh....Paratilapia polleni(small spots). If someone have some let me know. Money not an issue. Or other Madagasian species. What do you guys think if I put some grotto rock in there? Or should I just keep it driftwood and smooth stones? I know grotto have sharp edges, just concern if a fight breaks out.....they'll run into them.

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:11 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

I try to keep tanks with cichlids from roughly same area because I like it that way. In the case of Paretroplus species, there may need to be an exception. It is not easy to find large Madagascan cichlids to live with existing large Paretropleus.
If mixing cichlids or anything else will control aggression, then I say go for it. Better to have living fish than dead fish.

Successful captive spawns are pretty common on Old World Exotic farm. Ponds there are cut from coral just beneath soil surface. I believe typical pond is 3' deep, 10' wide and 20' long. Parents raise fry in these ponds.
First successful aquarium report was a guy that took eggs from tank. It is published in Buntbarsche Bulletin. He found that water has to be warm and have correct TDS for eggs to hatch. BTW, breeding generally occurs when water temperature is over 80 degrees.
My successful raising of fry was result of siphoning out wigglers. Not every spawn resulted in wigglers. In later years, I was using fry from first spawn that were now adults. They would eat their eggs much more frequently than original parents.
Once the wigglers were removed, they required APR and microworms at first. I was religious about removing unconsumed food and daily water changes. If fungus grows in tank, the fry will become ensnarled in fungi and be consumed. Later I found out methylene blue prevents fungal growth. That was helpful. So it is a battle to pump food to fry as often as possible and to remove unconsumed food asap.

Regarding heat, most spawns occur when water temp is over 80 degrees, 85 degrees is not too warm. Just for fun, I cranked temp up to 95 degrees during a water change. Madagascans swam in it as if it was just another day. Of course any non Madagascan cichlids would have died quickly. I would not go over 85 degrees now just because oxygen content of water falls with increasing temperature.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 pm
alkoholik Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thanks Bob. Your input on species are always informative and helpful. I'll bump the temp when they fatten up. When you get bored of those maculatus. LMK. I'll gladly take them.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:05 pm
1-2ride User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

If I had a monster tank I would definitely like some of these. I wouldnt want to house them in a 125 gal permanently.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:19 am
alkoholik Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Well Im actually saving some up for a (46.5x69x25) 250 gallon tub for them. Theyre doing fine at the moment in the 125 till I get the money. Hope they wont mind the black walls when the tub comes in.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:55 am
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

alkoholik wrote:
Hope they wont mind the black walls when the tub comes in.

Well I've never seen a lake or river with transparent walls. Just pile your rocks up along the walls for a decent approximation of nature.

edit, I guess these guys live in flood plains, so maybe they like the 'open' feel. Perhaps someone else knows.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:09 am
Level 20 Member

P. menarambo live in lakes or used to. They are probably extinct in Nature.
Snakeheads and tilapia were introduced into lakes to help feed native peoples. Both of these fish grow to adult size quickly and reproduce early in life cycle.
These fish likely preyed on P. menarambo fry and prevented P. menarambo from spawning at all.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:28 am
Level 20 Member

How are menarambo doing?
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:32 pm
alkoholik Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

The one lone male died. But the pair is still strong and healthy. They seem to want to breed on the driftwood. Always swimming in the area.

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Level 20 Member

Best of Luck with breeding
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:54 pm
alkoholik Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thanks Bob. Will update if something happens this spring.

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans