Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans was going to do a write up but my grammer sucks

was going to do a write up but my grammer sucks

Moderator: Moderators

jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

upper midwest victorian preservist

jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

with over 500 species long ago now most can only get a handfull what does that tell you.the nile perch did in some fish so there is no more in the wild or in the hobby or zoo's.

if i knew what i know now i would of kept them going and not breed and dump for master breeder once i got to master breeder the fish i had done before i couldnt find.so that made me think where did they go?who has them?it took me over a year to find (just a few) some that i had before and now im making sure they keep going in the hobby.

mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

It is very noble of you to try to keep the fish going. Thank you for posting that link, it was very interesting and it goes to show how man can royally mess stuff up. Not very many people here keep vics so thanks for being the "vic guy".

jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

lol thanks theres not many people in the midwest doing vics thats why i ship most or all of my fish.there are a lot of vic keepers out there but one here two there and ten over there.texas has a ton as florida and cali but there also bigger states also.

gary Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

So, Jason, can I give you some of my Mbipia Lutea to trade with you for something else in the future? I have given a few breeding groups away and sold some but I have a 75 gallon with 3 males and about 20 females and it's getting a bit dangerous in there. Lost a beautiful male a few days ago. Maybe you can sell the Mbipia Lute?. I'm not into shipping. I can bring the fish to you if you want, but I am leaving Feb 11 for two weeks and would like to take care of it before I leave. Deal? It's the ecological thing to do, no?

jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

i dont have tank space for them right now sorry after the guy in indy makes up his mind on how many fish hes getting ill know more after that.he took all the masabi creek and some other fry and keeps addding to the list

fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

Hey is that species I got from you rare? If so, i'll be ale to repopulate lake victoria in about 2 weeks, got about 79,000 fry in my grow out tanks now.

If I remember correct I took the Spotted Bars and I gave the Sp. Fire Uganda's to my stepdad. Well my petros killed off all the ones I took but I am breeding the crap out of the (Fire Uganda's???) at his house, and have the fry over here growing out.
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

gary Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Thanks for responding, Jason. If your buyer in Indy -- or anybody else you know -- wants the Mbipia Lutea, I'll be happy to bring them over to you to ship. You can keep whatever you sell them for. I just want them to go to someone who would appreciate them. They are really gorgeous fish and I have enjoyed them, but I want to try something new. I already have 15 Mbipia Lutea fry and it looks like three or four females holding, which I will soon isolate, so I could give you 2 males and about 15 females. I could try to sell them on Aquabid but I'm just not into shipping. Thanks again for thinking of them.

cnrohyes User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

I don't know what the issue is with your 'grammer'. whatever that is, but your grammar does suck. :lol:

discus fever Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Wow, good catch! Don't pick on him too much though, if he goes back into hiding I won't have any entertaining posts to read :)

fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

cnrohyes wrote:
I don't know what the issue is with your 'grammer'. whatever that is, but your grammar does suck. :lol:

LOL I know I raz Jason too much for his Kelsey Grammer, but I figure it's because a lot of the time he posts from his blackberry and well, if you've ever used one of those micro keyboards you understand how crappy they are. I often times do not even bother with punctuation because my finger covers 8 keys at once.

As far as Jason's fish though, you got to give it up for the guy, ho knows his fish.

Now only if he would give the guy who took that nice photo some of those tomato fry......LOL
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

cnrohyes User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

discus fever wrote:
Wow, good catch! Don't pick on him too much though, if he goes back into hiding I won't have any entertaining posts to read :)

True....it took like two years for him to start posting again.

jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

im doing my own thing hell i havnt been to many meeting as well

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Repopulation is probably not going to happen.
The habitat is forever altered. Placing populations into the current habitat would not result in the populations finding a niche that has been left empty and waiting for the return of various species.

What happened was humans changed the habitat and that is why the species disappeared. There is no why to turn the clock back and recreate a habitat to drop species populations into. It can be attempted to repopulate an area with a species but odds are not good.

So what then is the point of keeping extinct and soon to be extinct fish species?
The point is zoos and other entities rarely keep fish and those that do rarely keep fresh water fish. Zoos that do keep freshwater fish cannot keep all the species that need to be kept.

Some day perhaps Shedd Aquarium will want to set up a Lake Victoria display to show school children what Lake Victoria was like in the past, what was lost and how it occurred. Would it not be grand if the Shedd were able to call Jason and ask for assistance in using living fish rather than showing pictures on a wall?

Thanks Jason.
Like a complete unknown

gary Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Interesting discussion and I agree with all of you. On a more practical note, however, who do you know who would like some of these endangered fish? I have too many adult breeding Mbipia Lutea Spot Bars from Lake Victoria that I would like to go to someone who appreciates the value of preserving this threatened species. I've enjoyed these beautiful fish and will keep one breeding group myself but I have 2 males and about 20 females, including 4 holding, that are available. Any takers?

Next

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans