Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans so who all has victorians?

so who all has victorians?

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:39 pm
jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

what are you keeping and how long have you had them or plan to keep them?
upper midwest victorian preservist

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:46 pm
ZomgCichlidz11 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Neochromis omnicaerulus makobe, well i'm not sure how long i will keep him haha

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:49 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

tomatoe
golden duck
dayglow

Do not see dayglow or golden ducks in my fish room for more than one more year.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 pm
jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

yeah i cant keep the golden ducks everyone wants them for multi's since they never catch on

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:30 am
discus fever Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I don't have any yet, but i'm hoping something colorful pops up at the auction. (hint hint :) )

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:49 pm
jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

ill bring a few

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:35 pm
sduncan User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

As of this Tuesday or Wednesday I should have some Pundamilia Nyererei 'Mwanza Red'. Can hardly wait. These guys look absolutely awesome! Any tips for keeping them happy are more than welcome particularly from Jason.
Bring on the Victorians!

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:45 pm
jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

how big of tank?how many fish/how big?how many males/females?rocks,gravel or sand? just for starters

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:29 pm
sduncan User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Jason,

Tank is 65 Gallon, sand substrate, with tons of Cichlid Stone (http://www.underwatergalleries.com/Cichlid_Stones.html) "rocks". The tanks pH is around 8 and the temp is 80deg. The only other fish in the tank are 5 Syn. Lucipinnis @ ~2" and a couple blue-eyed bristlenose @ ~2.5".

I'm starting with 9 Pundamilia Nyererei @ ~1.5" Hoping to end up with 6 or 7 by the time they are sexually mature and I've re-homed some extra males. This is the only breeding group I intend to keep in the tank unless agression issues force me to raise stocking levels. If that happens I'll likely keep a group of Aulonocara or something like that along with them. At one point I had 3 Mbuna breeding groups going nuts in the tank and I just couldn't keep up with the volume of fry they produced.

-Sean
Bring on the Victorians!

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 pm
jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

turn your tem down to 76-78 they will be happier but everything else sounds good.if you have any questions just give me a shout and ill help you out

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:44 pm
sduncan User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Nine Pundamilia Nyererei Red Mwanza F1 arrived today from California. They are all in their new tank and doing well. So excited to see these fish grow and hopefully breed.
Bring on the Victorians!

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 am
gary Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Hi Jason

Thanks for turning me on to Mbipia Lutea when I bought a breeding group (2m, 6f) from you about a year ago. Gorgeous fish and interesting breeding behavior. I ended up with about 50 fry from 2 of the females, sold the adults, raised the young to breeding age, sold and gave away half of them -- still have three times the number of adults I bought from you -- and now have another 15 fry about 3 weeks old. Mbipia Lutea are a breeding machine! Recently, I managed to isolate a female "holding" and got to experience her caring for the young, including watching them fly into Mom's mouth when I put my ugly face next to the aquarium. Fun! I still have 3 males and about 20 females in a 75 gallon, with lots of cover from rocks and plastic plants. The males have established different territories and they are breeding constantly. Am trying to sell/trade a breeding group of 1 male and 6 - 8 females if anyone is interested or would sell/trade the 15 fry too.
Last edited by gary on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 pm
jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

well done and yes it is something to see when fry go back into her mouth

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans