Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans Paratilapia polleni "small spot"

Paratilapia polleni "small spot"

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 pm
kingranchu Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:50 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Paratilapia are great fish.
Hope to see more of this one.
Like a complete unknown

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:51 pm
SotaBoy23Shoes User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I really like those fish! I first saw them at Ricq's and really wanted them! That one looks really nice too. Where did you get it from?
IS IT THE SHOES?

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:23 pm
K_Discus Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

nice one Kou but where did you get it from? :D Last one I saw in person was 2 yrs ago from a buddy community tank.
MONSTER FISH

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 pm
KTL Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

nice fish...i googled it and looks like a crappie...with kok love it...is it possible to mix with fh?...would like to see a black fh...badass lol

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:45 pm
BanjoMinnow User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Awsome looking fish I like the contrast of the white and black. Very cool looking fish. What kind of personality it have?

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:55 am
Level 10 Member

Thanks, everyone 8) I got this guy from John and Rob @ Sealevel in, Hopkins. He was in a small tank full of silver dollars "Metynnis hypsauchen." Here is another shot of him, taken with wireless flash. First shot was taken with flash mounted on camera..

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:05 am
Level 10 Member

BanjoMinnow wrote:
What kind of personality it have?

They behave just like any other cichlids..

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:09 am
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Awesome fish! One of my favorite old worlds. Please resist the temptation to hybridize this fish as it is considered vulnerable in the wild. There may come a time when the only available specimens of Paratilapia polleni will come from the aquarium hobby. In fact, it may be here already. I hope we can maintain sound genetics in these fish.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/16199/0

I hope you can find a girlfriend for him. Good luck.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 am
BanjoMinnow User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Ok, I get that it acts like a cichlid.. but does it act like a pissed off red terror or like a mellow sevrum.

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:07 am
Level 10 Member

nkambae wrote:
Awesome fish! One of my favorite old worlds. Please resist the temptation to hybridize this fish as it is considered vulnerable in the wild. There may come a time when the only available specimens of Paratilapia polleni will come from the aquarium hobby. In fact, it may be here already. I hope we can maintain sound genetics in these fish.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/16199/0

I hope you can find a girlfriend for him. Good luck.

stu

Thanks, I am aware of that :wink: I have no plans of hybridizing this fish. Not sure if that's even possible.. I've read somewhere that because of man, and invasive species. Their numbers have been dwindling.. I'm working on finding a mate for him as we speak..

BanjoMinnow ------ I'd say in between.. but aggression could be different depending on each fish. I do have a breeding pair of Cryptoheros nanoluteus in the same tank, and he seems to tolerate them..

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:03 pm
Level 20 Member

Have kept and bred many large spot Paratilapia. They were very aggressive when breeding and were successful in a 125 gal tank despite an aggressive male Dimidochromis compressiceps that had all other fish in tank totally cowed. That was an amazing display of egg laying parents success. It rivals that of Cichlasoma trimaculatus parental aggressiveness.

Also have kept other large spot males which killed Madagascan cichlids in same tank but not CA or African cichlid tankmates.

On the other hand, when I kept one pair of small spots where only aggression male showed was to female.

IMO, broad generalization is about as good as it gets. Males from same spawn do not always share same level of aggression and tank decor and tank mates can alter levels of aggressivenss.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:28 pm
Level 10 Member

I just picked up this really nice female from, Bob :P She has a few battle scars, and torn fins here and there. But otherwise is healing and settling in really good.. She's a mean one. Much bigger than the other two I currently have. So until she starts acting nice, she's currently living on the other side of the tank seperated by a divider.. Again, thank you for the gorgeous fish. And by the way, the other small spots in the tank went NUTS over that pellet food you gave me!! Great stuff..

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:05 am
Level 20 Member

She spawned twice but I failed to pull eggs, that was dumb. After she ate the eggs, male punished her.

Then I added a breeding pair of GT to tank. GT male did not much care for small spot male and toasted him.
Again, I should have kept a closer eye on them. That was really irresponsible on my part. Paratilapia are on endangered fish list.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:16 pm
Level 10 Member

A lot of fish has come and go.. but these guys here, will stay with me for a very long time. Hopefully I can get a spawn within the next year or so. It's very nice to be able to keep them together, and watch them swim and eat together. Not a lot of cichlids I've kept has done that for me. Bob, If you ever need the female small spot back for whatever reasons. Let me know.. Otherwise, she is in good hands. Here's a new tank mate to the Pollini tank. Vampire pleco! He was originally mine, but Johnny had him for a while. He's at least 7"inches.. Love these guys :D

Next

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans