Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans danakilia sp

danakilia sp

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:48 pm
rocksandglass Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Thought I would post some info on these fish I have had for awhile. Danakilia sp. "sukoray" (sometimes "shukoray"). I kept 6 of them in a 6 foot tank, but I think a 75 gallon would work. None of my fish grew larger than 4 inches. There is a lot of energy with these fish, always on the move. They took all kinds of food and would eat constantly if allowed. Sifted through the substrate and would tear away the algae on the covered rocks and wood. I kept them at 80 plus degrees and medium hard water. All the literature says to keep them warm, but I don't think you need to duplicate the high saline conditions in the wild.. There is always chasing, but no fin damage. This is a great undemanding cichlid that should be kept in the hobby. Since they originate from the deserts of Ethiopia, if they disappear we may not see them again.

You can click on the image to see it a little larger.
Attachments
cap1.JPG
cap2.JPG
cap3.JPG
cap4.JPG
cap5.JPG
cap6.JPG
cap7.JPG
cap8.JPG

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:36 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Congratulations. I have tried two different groups, both developed bloat as the reached adulthood. Used spirulina flake and hard water from aquifer as most burbs do.
Best of luck to all those that keep this species or any other from Danakilla rift.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans