Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans Steatocranus irvinei

Steatocranus irvinei

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm
rocksandglass Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Acquired fish at about one inch length. Moved 8 of them to a 100 gal. (think 125 only little shorter) and they are now 2-1/2 to 3 inches and have spawned. Pair spawned in rock cave at end of tank. They defend 3 feet of tank. They originate from the upper Volta river system in Ghana unlike the other steatocranus species from the Congo river. Fairly drab in color, but a unique feature is the lower blue lip.
Attachments
066_01.JPG
014_01.JPG
081_01.JPG
009_01.JPG
010_01.JPG
008_01.JPG
092_01.JPG
087_01.JPG
078_01.JPG
068_01.JPG

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:07 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Congratulations

Kept this fish at least 10 years ago and bred a single pair in 30 gal tank with 24"x24" footprint. A lot of fry. Apparently, males reach 6" and females reach 4". I know my pair was not that large.

It is true that S. irvinei are from Volta river and all other Steatocranus come from Congo river. S. irvinei has scales on operculum and no other Steatocranus has scales on operculum. Therefore, this fish is not a true Steatocranus.

Stiassney examined S. irvinei and compared it to other Steatocranus in 1987. Dr. Stiassney placed irvinei in a new genus and published the name as Leptotilapia irvinea. However, Dr. Stiassney misspelled irvinei and some ichthyologists do not accept publication as valid. Apparently, they are still waiting for a correction 30 years later. S. irvinei are named after F.R. Irvine who first collected the fish. When a male name is Latinized, i or ei is added like irvinei. Whereas when a female name is Latinized, a or ea is added like irvinea. F.R. Irvine was a male.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:10 pm
Ron User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Very nice! I had a large, mature pair of these several years ago that I got from a fellow MAS member. Could never get them to spawn. What type of water chemistry do you have, i.e. hard? soft?
~6743 gallons

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans