Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Tanganyika 33 Gallon Tanganyikan Setup

33 Gallon Tanganyikan Setup

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 am
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I’m setting up a 33 gallon long tank I had sitting in storage for the past number of years. Its 48” x 12” x 12” or so. I’m adding 50 lbs. of pool filter sand, about 50 escargot and smaller shells, and a number of various softball size jagged rocks from Mill Pond garden store out of Deleno, MN. I have a Rena XP1 for filtration, basic florescent tube light, and an Eheim 125 watt heater. Oh yeah, also bought a 3-D rock looking background from Universal Rocks. The background is about ½” thick so it won’t take up too much space. Also, I taped black construction paper to the outside bottom glass to help keep it dark for the digging fish I plan on adding. Most of the equipment/supplies I’m using are salvaged from prior tanks so the cost has been fairly low to set this tank up.

The water out here in Buffalo, MN is hard so it’s perfect for Tanganyikans without having to mess with buffers.

My idea is to create a tank with shell dwellers on one side with Julies in the rocks on the other side. I also hope to fit a group of Cyps to act as dithers and fill the upper portion of the tank.

Once the tank has cycled and is ready to add fish, I’m hope to find young groups of – Neolamprologus multifaciatus or similis, Julidochromis transcrptus or regain, and Cyprichromis leptosoma.

Hopefully the tank mates I plan on are available locally – you should see a wanted ad some time in May to get this tank up and running.

Thanks,

Scott.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:34 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Ron has J. transcriptus available recently.

A 33 gal tank is small for Tanganyika cichlids. A 33 gal would work for a single species of cave brooders or for shell dwellers. I do not see enough space for Cyp colony in this tank.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:34 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

MAS Auction is coming up a week from Saturday. You'll be able to pick up a larger tank for a song!

Willie

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:24 pm
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Passionfish - Ok, no cyps.

willie - I plan on being at the auction. Need to get this tank up and running before I start looking at adding another already!

Thanks for the responses.

Scott.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:10 pm
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

48123861461_34cf9a63f8_z.jpg
I now have about 50 fry off 3 different spawns Neolamprologus multifasciatus in the shells and the Julidochromis dickfeldi have paired up and kicked the others out of the rock. Hopefully they will breed too.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:59 pm
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

multi
Attachments
48123957246_e92d8672bb_z.jpg

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:00 pm
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

dickfeldi
Attachments
48123988028_753d957ce7_z.jpg