Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Tanganyika g. permaxillaris

g. permaxillaris

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:44 pm
rocksandglass Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Looking for some opinions on raising a brood of gnathochromis permaxillaris. I don't really like tumbling eggs and hopefully the parents will hold to the end and I can remove fry from the tank. Looking for success and failures. I have noticed the fish also have taken up gravel with the eggs. Currently two fish in a 100 gallon tank by themselves.
Attachments
04.JPG
03.JPG
02.JPG
01.JPG

Post Tue May 02, 2017 11:50 am
Ron User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

rocksandglass wrote:
Looking for some opinions on raising a brood of gnathochromis permaxillaris. I don't really like tumbling eggs and hopefully the parents will hold to the end and I can remove fry from the tank. Looking for success and failures. I have noticed the fish also have taken up gravel with the eggs. Currently two fish in a 100 gallon tank by themselves.

My experience with spawning them was that the fry were free swimming in about 2 weeks - much shorter time than most mouthbrooders I've bred. They also tend to "spit" the eggs/fry into the tank when trying to catch them so I would suggest doing it when they are sleeping to prevent chasing them around the tank.
~6743 gallons

Post Tue May 02, 2017 11:51 am
Ron User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I just looked at the date on your original post - guess I haven't been on here in a while. Were you able to get any fry from this spawn?
~6743 gallons

Post Tue May 02, 2017 3:45 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Congratulations.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Lake Tanganyika