Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Tanganyika Calvus spawn advice needed

Calvus spawn advice needed

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:52 am
fisher User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Micro bubbles and the slightest difference in temperature seems to trigger a die-off, floating your replacement water does wonders, just saying...
It lets the water temp stabilize and also lets the micro bubbles pre-disperse before adding the water to the tank.
Also, leaving too much food or dead fry in the tank too long is another major factor that will trigger a die-off. It doesn't take much at all to kill off an entire brood of fry. They're by far the most sensitive fry I've ever tried to raise. lol
The more i learn, the more i realize i have alot to learn.

Post Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:42 pm
fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

And that makes sense if you think about it in terms of nature/evolution. If these fish didn't die easily and take 8 million years to reach adulthood the entire lake would be over-run with this species of fish. They are designed to eat other fry and are extremely good at it with their sharp scales and ability to move like lightning. If these fish grew fast and were hardy they would eat all the other fry in the lake.

I also don't mind losing 1/2 the spawn since these things are tough to move out of the fish room and they take forever to grow.
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika