Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Tanganyika Tropheous Stocking 75

Tropheous Stocking 75

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:07 pm
baileyje User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Based on my other post I am considering a Tanganyika tank. I have really always wanted a tropheous setup, but was considering something milder to help get my daughters interested. But they are really interested in some color. If I were to put together a tropheous tank in my 75 I am summing it’s single species to avoid cross breeding, etc. How many would I need to keep the aggression under control? I have a pretty over the top filtration setup so I am ok with a little overstock.

Thoughts?

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:55 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

I have seen Tropheus sp. Ikola bred in 40 gal tank but I could not accomplish same in 75 gal or larger. Tropheus are difficult IMO. Consider contacting Pam Chin on Cichlid Room Companion for advice.
Like a complete unknown

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:56 am
AHcichlids Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

With proper hiding places and decor to keep aggression down you could probably get 10-14 in your 75 pretty comfortably. Yes you may lose 1-3 due to aggression but once they establish their own hierarchy it’ll calm down. Beware they are not a beginner fish and you should have experience with fish to keep them. Very prone to bloat and require quite precise water conditions and dietary needs to thrive. I have 10 in a 55 for my breeding group and don’t have much of an issue, I’ve seen breeding as low as a 30g tank before so tank doesn’t always make a difference too much for that. Just observation and keeping up on water and tank maintenance
African cichlids breeder local to Minnesota with over 30 tanks in my room and 12+ dedicated breeding groups

Return to Lake Tanganyika