Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Tanganyika Back in business

Back in business

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:59 pm
baileyje User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Almost six years back I moved and had to tear down my tanks. After a couple kids and a busy business I am getting back in the hobby. I have been plumbing my 75 gallon. I would love to stock it with some Tanganyikans that are relatively peaceful. My daughters want to get somewhat involved and I thought they may enjoy Shell dwellers. I am not sure I want a full tank though. Has anyone had luck with a mixed tank? Maybe half shells and half rock? What other smaller tangs work?

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:34 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Shellies on one end and smaller hidden cave spawners on other end. Leave the open area in middle to keep fish from either end colonizing the open space.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:50 pm
baileyje User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Do you have any examples of smaller hidden caves dwellers that would work? I am guessing there is nothing that would work for higher levels of the tank in this kind of setup.

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:35 pm
baileyje User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Also, are there any good local sources?

Post Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:44 am
Level 20 Member

Cyprichromis will generally stay in the upper region of the tank provided they have an orientation with tall rocks, slate leaning against the glass, etc. Paracyps are also possible but will need a slate-like flat surface reaching into the upper area of the tank. Neither are territorial as they are mouth brooders.

Smaller neolamps include brevis, caudopunctatus, gracilis, helianthus, and olivaceous. Altolamprologus could replace the neolamps. Older and larger Altos may want more space. Smaller Julies and other small fish from other genera are also possible. Mid-sized lamps may or may not work in 75 but stay away from larger species as they will attempt to keep a larger territory all to themselves.

Three species from Lake Tanganyika in 75 gal is the limit imo.

I do not know if any hobbyists are selling these species. Various fish stores have Lake Tanganyika fish in stock. I would suggest checking Forest Lake Pets first.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:32 pm
baileyje User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Thank you for the information. I was planning to stick to two species. It isn’t critical to get a lot of high swimming. Looks like I have some homework to do based on your suggestions.

In the past I have kept Synodontis with my Africans and loved them. Will they work in a setup like this, or will they get too nosy?

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:02 am
Level 20 Member

Smaller synos would be a nice addition imo. They would likely eat fry in tank but it would be interesting to watch cichlid parents attempt to chase catfish away.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:13 am
baileyje User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Yeah. I love the synos.

Return to Lake Tanganyika