Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Malawi 125 Mbuna Stocking

125 Mbuna Stocking

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:20 pm
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Purchased a new 125 6' tank for the top of a stand i built with 2 40 breeders on the bottom. No room underneath for a sump or canister so filtering the new 125 with 2 AquaClear 110's. The tank has quite a bit of rock (holey, lace, and local landscaping obsidian rock) and some java fern and anubius for a bit of greenery.

Planning on the following fish. 6-10 juveniles and maybe a couple of adults of each and re-homing the extra males as they mature.

Petrotilapia sp. chitumba
Metriaclima sp. msobo deep
Labidochromis caerleus
Pseudotropheus williamsi north
Labeotropheus trewavasae 'mpanga red'
and
Synodontis lucipinnis

This will be my 'show tank' with no real expectations of retrieving any fry (if any). Will be too much of a pita to pull all the rock to get any fry.

Hopefully the stocking list will work out long term.

Here's a picture of the tank now but will probably change rock around as I see fit.

Scott.
Attachments
48850213777_31cfd654ce_c.jpg

Post Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:45 pm
JamesWebb Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Nice setup!

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 pm
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Thanks JamesWebb,

I'm really enjoying this tank. If I had any camera skills at all, I'd post a few pictures.

The fish seem to be getting along together just fine. A couple of the msobo deep males are starting to show some color and will be positioning for territory soon. Right now the williamsi north males are the boss of the tank but will see if that changes as the other fish get a bit older. The chitumba are a slightly older than most of the other fish and are the best looking at this point.

Scott.

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:25 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Scott,

Set up OK except for lucipinnis. I have found this catfish do not like large water changes. Whereas mbuna can handle a very large water change. Be careful.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Lake Malawi