Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Malawi Help me ID this Aulonocara?

Help me ID this Aulonocara?

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu May 09, 2019 2:38 pm
jergrafs User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Hey friends!

I got a breeding trio of these fish, from the MAS Spring Auction, that were marked "Aulonocara".
But, I really want to know very specifically what I am breeding.

See images here: https://500px.com/g/5e776915248faaf79ad ... 0733dfbe91

Can anyone identify "exactly" what these are called?
I have seen a lot of images online. But, I am having trouble finding an example that is clearly named and "looks" exactly the same.

So far, the closest names I have found include:
* Aulonocara gertrudae Monkey Bay
* Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Chirwa Island
* Aulonocara steveni
* Aulonocara stuartgranti Chilumba

It is also possible this is a hybrid.
Please advise. Thank you!
Check out my current fish list and photos:
https://aquarium.mn/members/profile/jergrafs

Post Thu May 09, 2019 8:05 pm
Ron User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Looks like it could be a hybrid. I think there's something called a "Blue Dragonblood" that it reminds me of.
~6743 gallons

Post Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 am
jergrafs User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Ron wrote:
Looks like it could be a hybrid. I think there's something called a "Blue Dragonblood" that it reminds me of.

That''s helpful. Thanks! :)

Post Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 pm
AHcichlids Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Most definitely a hybrid. Exact species unknown.
African cichlids breeder local to Minnesota with over 30 tanks in my room and 12+ dedicated breeding groups

Post Sat May 11, 2019 9:33 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Look at the caudal fin. Those dashes indicate this fish is Aulonocara stuartgranti or strongest genetic phenotype is that of A. stuartgranti. The location morph is almost impossible to say. There are slight changes in size, coloring, and other phenotypic expression moving from reef to reef along Lake Malawi coast. The reefs are isolated, resulting in different breeding groups of A. stuartgranti to develop different phenotypic morphs. These morphs are recognized by the name of the reef where each morph are found.

However, this may be a stuartgranti morph hybrid. I reviewed all the location morphs on Koning's map and there were no morphs that appear similar to fish in question.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat May 11, 2019 10:10 am
Level 20 Member

I also took a look at Jer's 500pix page. A few males have coloring developing into a red shoulder. However, the remaining coloring on those with red shoulders is not correct for Aulonocara stuartgranti, Chiloelo aka red shoulder peacock and also known as Aulonocara hansbaenschi.

Unless these peacocks change over time, today they appear to be an unknown hybrid.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon May 13, 2019 9:43 am
jergrafs User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Passionfish wrote:
I also took a look at Jer's 500pix page. A few males have coloring developing into a red shoulder. However, the remaining coloring on those with red shoulders is not correct for Aulonocara stuartgranti, Chiloelo aka red shoulder peacock and also known as Aulonocara hansbaenschi.

Unless these peacocks change over time, today they appear to be an unknown hybrid.

Hey Passionfish,

there is only one male. So, any coloration differences noticed, is actually only due to position of the male fish relative to the lighting.
I do think that this is probably a hybrid type. I got one male and two females. I just want to get as much information on them as I can.

Their label was marked only with the name "Aulonocara".

Post Mon May 13, 2019 6:26 pm
Level 20 Member

Seller was clueless. Consider the peacocks as hybrids.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Lake Malawi