Board index Headquarters Welcome Hello from Minneapolis and Toronto!

Hello from Minneapolis and Toronto!

New to the forum? Stop in here and say "hi".

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue May 28, 2019 3:54 pm
alphaparrot Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Hello everyone,

I grew up in the Twin Cities, and am currently away in Toronto, Ontario working on a degree. The gf is still back here in Minneapolis, though, and the plan is to move back when I finish the degree in about a year. I got into fishkeeping about a year and a half ago, and the only thing stopping me from obsessively setting up more and more tanks (aside from my budget) is the knowledge that I have to pick up and move across an international border in about a year--and I don't want to adopt tons of critters that will just need to be re-homed with strangers. But in the meantime I figured I should get acquainted with the local fishkeeping community so I can be well-informed when I am able to start setting up new tanks after the move. And it's always possible I can convince the gf to get into the hobby too... :wink: She has always liked bettas, but has never seen a really happy betta in a medium-sized planted tank...

My main interests are tropical freshwater nano fish in large-ish planted aquariums. Current tank is a 20g with Brachydanio kyathit and Trigonostigma hengeli and I'm really regretting not going with a 40g or 55g, just for the larger schools that would have permitted. Ultimately, >100g would be ideal.

Cheers!
alphaparrot

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:39 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Welcome to minnfish.

I have taken fish into Canada (stopped to determine if duty was due). I have brought fish back to the USA from Canada. Asked about fish, my reply was I traded or purchased a few TROPICAL fish from friends of a Fish Society for my personal use. Was not asked to show fish.
At least three trips into Canada and back. If you were bringing in 4-5 fish boxes and admitted the fish were sold to another party or there was a suspicion you were operating a business, you would likely be turned around or have to sacrifice fish to cross the border.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:20 am
MplsGuy Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Welcome, and good luck!

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 pm
alphaparrot Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Passionfish wrote:
Welcome to minnfish.

I have taken fish into Canada (stopped to determine if duty was due). I have brought fish back to the USA from Canada. Asked about fish, my reply was I traded or purchased a few TROPICAL fish from friends of a Fish Society for my personal use. Was not asked to show fish.
At least three trips into Canada and back. If you were bringing in 4-5 fish boxes and admitted the fish were sold to another party or there was a suspicion you were operating a business, you would likely be turned around or have to sacrifice fish to cross the border.

That's good to know! My bigger concern (they didn't search our truck at all when we crossed the border 4 years ago; I have no doubt I could smuggle fish across) is that the drive from Toronto to Minneapolis is a minimum of 14 hours, and we'd likely stop for the night somewhere near Chicago. So the fish would be in transit in a moving van for over 24 hours, and they'll definitely be middle-aged to elderly at that point--I'm worried about what the stress would do to them. Same goes for newer, younger fish; I'd be worried that the undue stress would have adverse effects that would shorten their lifespan. Just seems like if rehoming is an option, that's more humane, and I can do the responsible thing and merely fantasize about my future fish room until the future is less topsy-turvy.

Return to Welcome