Board index Headquarters Welcome Returning to the area

Returning to the area

New to the forum? Stop in here and say "hi".

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 pm
jschlosser Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Moving back to my husband's hometown of Loretto this spring where I will continue my 50+ year fish habit. I started at 5 with a 5 gallon metaframe that my dad got for a dollar from a LFS that was closing (some things never change). And a couple of blue gouramis. I had a brass air pump and can remember him repairing it with a piece of bicycle tube! In those days, cleaning the tank meant carrying the whole 50# thing into the kitchen, moving the fish to a glass bowl and dumping it and scrubbing everything with salt and replacing the media in the corner filter before carrying it back to the living room and dumping in a pail of water that had been standing for a week before reintroducing the fish. Fish were hardier back then, I guess!

My husband grew up on a dairy farm where the only time fish and tank were used in a sentence involved fresh caught crappies in the stock tank in the barnyard waiting for their turn to be supper. Soon after we married, though, it meant watching clown loaches play in the bubbles in my much larger grown up tank - and my blue gouramis. Hubby insists on an aquarium and helps out when needed, including taking over rearing a tank of fry (blue gouramis - notice a theme?) when I had to go help with a new grandchild. I have friends who are breeders, importers and even some who get on a plane for Peru regularly to collect fish; one even owns a fish-collecting expedition company. I on the other hand, just keep my fish as pets. I currently have a 125 gallon sitting empty, having taken the last of my wet babies (my fish are pets, not livestock) to auction on Saturday.

I am currently a member of the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society where my major contributions have been cooking for potlucks, bringing the websites into the 21st century and paying my dues on time.
JoAnn Schlosser

"All men are equal before fish."
-Herbert Hoover

Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:59 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Welcome back.
Great group of friends JoAnn.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 pm
ZWytt Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member