Board index Fish Talk Hybrids Will Yellow labs and Christmas Fulu hybridize?

Will Yellow labs and Christmas Fulu hybridize?

Here's the discussion HQ for all fish that are considered to be hybrids.

Moderators: Moderators, Hybrids Moderator

hamlet10 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I moved my Christmas Fulu group (Xystichromis phytophagus, a Lake Victoria mouth brooder) into a tank with my lone, last surviving Yellow lab male. Now one of the females is holding, and I’m wondering if I should avoid raising the fry on the off chance that she hybridized with the yellow lab. They look nothing alike, come from different lakes and genuses, and there were several male Fulus to mate with, but I don’t want to unknowingly spread hybrids in the hobby.

Note- I’m BAPing Christmas Fulu in the MAS auction this week. Those were bred in their own species tank, so no worries with them.

Mark K Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

They sure are pretty fish. It would be interesting to see what a hybrid would look like.

No one said you had to sell the babies. If you did and listed them as hybrids, depending on how they look, maybe someone may like them.

hamlet10 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Mark K wrote:
They sure are pretty fish. It would be interesting to see what a hybrid would look like.

No one said you had to sell the babies. If you did and listed them as hybrids, depending on how they look, maybe someone may like them.

My worry is that I wouldn’t be able to necessarily tell for sure if they were hybrids or not. If I raised them up, it would be to sell/trade them, since I don’t want to devote the tank space to another batch. My current batch of fry ( known good, as the parents were in their own tank at the time) is being BAP’d, with the leftovers joining the tank with the parents. That will pretty much put that tank at capacity.

I would hate to unknowingly sell hybrids to someone.

Return to Hybrids