Board index Aquaria Topics Do-It-Yourself Projects Fishroom computer

Fishroom computer

The MFK's DIY section! Enjoy with a PBR ASAP.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:30 am
afishyanado Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Today I purchased a Mac mini and I'm thinking about deploying it in my fishroom. I have a unique situation in that my fishroom is accessed by multiple ppl and up until now we have been using the low tech method of a whiteboard to communicate. I have 2 wireless cameras to monitor my equipment remotely so with the sff computer total cost is $160. Does anybody else have a "high tech" aquarium? I went with a Mac due to the OS being free a comparable pc build likely would have been more expensive.

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:08 am
ahenjum User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I do not have a fishroom computer yet, but am planning on building one out to keep track of temps and PH. I was also looking into a DB to keep track of water changes, fish in each aquarium, ect. What is the end goal of your fishroom computer?

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:02 pm
Level 4 Member

Mostly to have a document that is accessible remotely to transmit info. I am wondering if in the future it would be possible to hook into my pH controller to provide realtime data that is remotely accessed. Right now I am able to get my info from my two wifi cameras but I would prefer to eventually just use those to view tanks. The goal is to have a eventual fairly autonomous fish system.

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:08 pm
ahenjum User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

There are a few aquarium tracking software packages out there and a few phone apps I have found. I haven't looked into each of them because they didn't keep track of everything I want to know. I know that digital PH and temp sensors can be purchased and hooked up to an arduino or other micro controller. That was the route I've planned on going down.

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:38 pm
Level 4 Member

https://flic.kr/p/NxFMVR

Yeah I know there are some monitoring systems out there but they are expensive. Like I said I wanted a low cost option above is a picture of it in place

Return to Do-It-Yourself Projects