Board index Aquaria Topics Do-It-Yourself Projects sump return line question

sump return line question

The MFK's DIY section! Enjoy with a PBR ASAP.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:23 pm
fullthrottle Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I was thinking of making a return line that runs all the way around the bottom out of like 3\4 pvc with holes in it to make kind of a up flow I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen or tried something like this

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:01 pm
lifelinefish Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I am thinking maybe this is the concept of what you're looking for? I intended to do this several years ago in 180g but seemed like a lot of work. This design actually uses an in tank powerhead but I imagine if your return flow is substantial you could maybe make something like this work or something similar.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:31 pm
fullthrottle Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Ya that's pretty much what I'm looking for that's a little more complicated than I was thinking but I like it I might try it

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:35 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Consider resistance to flow.
When resistance to flow increases, more pump is required.
More pump means more electricity every hour, every day, year after year after year.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:28 am
pomacanthus User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Just make sure you cut the back siphon hole at 1/4" to 1/2" under the water line or else you will need new socks probably sooner than later lol

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:35 am
Nash User avatar
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I have 2 canisters on my main tank and one of which goes into a under substrate circulation system with 1/2" pvc, and the second uses a spray bar across the top, it does a nice job

Return to Do-It-Yourself Projects