Board index Aquaria Topics Do-It-Yourself Projects Custom 75G Stand and Bucket Filter (attempt)

Custom 75G Stand and Bucket Filter (attempt)

The MFK's DIY section! Enjoy with a PBR ASAP.

Moderator: Moderators

LichCid Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

New to this forum, thought I might share my 75G build:

Dimensional lumber frame, Baltic birch plywood and oak top and doors. I have been wiping on thinly cut polyurethane using a lot of coats with good success. A bit sad nearly the entire top is covered by the tank. The rock came from my yard, which I spent too much time cleaning.

I have to admit, I didn't end up using the bucket filter and instead run an FX6 and SunSun canister. Just not worth the flood risk for me. I did have an air stone in the bottom of that bucket full of lava rock and fed it ammonia while the build was ongoing. Using the lava rock in my canisters really jump started my bio filter!

I was running the light a lot and building up some algae on the rocks. Algae was a bit greener than this pic makes it look, but I was also getting a lot of brown diatoms on the glass.

With the fish being more mature and aggressive combined with the extra upkeep I have went back to a clean look. My light is on about 6 hours a day now and while I have 2 feisty Rusty and 2 fairly dominant yellow lab, with the light off longer things seem calmer. The Acei don't seem to have any aggression issues.

Not a lot of Algae to munch on so I have been throwing in cucumbers which they seem to love. Other leafy veggies when I dont have cucumbers.

This build had a fairly good budget going until I caved and bought the FX6.

When I deep clean I try to snag all the fry from under the rocks. Offspring have been hanging out in a 20G with a sponge filter for the moment. They are too big now to add more fry. Found that out the hard way. Little guys do surprisingly well in the narrow gaps in the larger tanks with the adults.

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Wood finish looks good. Fish are interesting.

It appears that tank edges rest on 2x6 frame. The frame is then attached with screws to 2x4 legs. At floor leve there is a 2x4 frame and legs are attached with screws to that frame. If what I have described is true, then entire weight of tank, water and rocks is born by the screws holding legs and frame together. There are no standards for screws, meaning it is not possible say what load a given screw can bear.
If this lower frame is resting directly on the floor, the best way to secure tank from issues is to place four 2x4 directly between upper and lower frames at each corner. The additional 2x4 need to fit snug to tight but do not need to be attached to existing legs.
If the lower frame is not directly on the floor, it needs to be shimmed or use enough felt pad under frame so that weight is transferred to the lower frame.
The idea is that all tank etc weight needs to be transmitted to floor by known methods that will support the weight.
Like a complete unknown

LichCid Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

@Passionfish,

Thanks for checking out my post and taking the time to reply. I think (hope) I am one ahead of you:

The pictures are small, so it is hard to tell for sure. Also, you are spot on with the 4x6 on the front not directing load to the ground. Couple notes, everything is glued and screwed (See glue squeeze-out at corner in the picture). The 3/4 in plywood front is sharing some load and is glued to the 2x6. I actually did consider adding addition 2x4 to the front (probably still could) but I was comfortable with this setup for the front considering the loads kitchen cabinets can handle without this reinforcement and the 6 legs.

Anyways, I definitely appreciate the reply and any more feedback!

Update: Just to clarify, all the legs 12-2x4 run from the top to the ground or direct load from the top frame to the bottom frame.

LichCid Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

LichCid wrote:
@Passionfish,

Thanks for checking out my post and taking the time to reply. I think (hope) I am one ahead of you:

Update: Just to clarify, all the legs 12-2x4 run from the top to the ground or direct load from the top frame to the bottom frame.

I agree you are 12 legs ahead carrying the direct load.
Nice exterior finish.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Do-It-Yourself Projects