Board index Aquaria Topics Do-It-Yourself Projects Glass top back strip - DIY ideas?

Glass top back strip - DIY ideas?

The MFK's DIY section! Enjoy with a PBR ASAP.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:11 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

After going from HOB filters to a central air system, I realized I now have a lot of open areas on my tanks' glass tops. Does anyone have a DIY solution for these back strips? I've got far too much evaporation going on right now.

I also have a few 55s with the black, molded plastic tops. I need to cover these as well.

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:33 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I'd just buy new back strips. Several local fish stores sell them in up to 6" lengths. Note the thickness of your tops 1st, there are 2 thicknesses of back strip and hinge available.

If you're cheap/lazy like me and its for a fishroom (not display) tank just take a strip of saran or bubble wrap and cover the back.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:51 pm
SupeDM User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Agreed with previous, just get some new back strip from store. For the plastic hoods I also use plastic wrap or glue thin plexi over the cutouts. Plexi can be purchased at most of the big DIY stores and cuts fairly easily with saw.
125 gallon Mixed African Cichlid
125 gallon Furcifer Kigoma 90 gallon Mixed Malawi
75 gallon Mbuna growout
5x55 gallon Peacock colonies
40 breeder Furcifer Ruzibra growing out.
5x20 High growouts and projects.
55 gallon Archocentrus Semperfasciatus

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

These aren't bank breakers, so buying new stuff is probably the best option, as mentioned. I just figured someone out there had to have figured out a replacement solution using banana peels, Tabasco sauce and saw dust.

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:43 pm
dnrdarryl Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I did but it's classified. If I told you I'd have to...
Greg Hanson

It's not a cup, it's a fish tank with a handle. :-)

Post Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:58 am
A+ Tropical Fish User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

loverland wrote:
After going from HOB filters to a central air system, I realized I now have a lot of open areas on my tanks' glass tops. Does anyone have a DIY solution for these back strips? I've got far too much evaporation going on right now.

I also have a few 55s with the black, molded plastic tops. I need to cover these as well.

Clear packing tape. It worked for the few times I used it.

I would much rather pay the 20$ for 6'ers and make new backstrips though.
A+ Tropical Fish and Maintenance
Phone: (763)222-5457
Email: pleco.predatory.oddball.keeper@gmail.com

Post Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:40 pm
SupeDM User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Another option would be to buy more hinge material and get a piece of glass cut to fit. Add it in as a third piece of glass top. I did this on a 40 breeder i have on bottom of double stand the existing top was to big to open all the way so I got creative and used parts off old 36x12 tanks and made a 3 piece top that fits well and allows front piece to open all the way. will still be cheaper to just get the replacement 6 foot pieces from LFS I got mine in Champlin at a fine Store run by a friend. I like to keep things like this on hand all the time since i constantly change things around and have eels that will escape throigh pinholes it seems.
125 gallon Mixed African Cichlid
125 gallon Furcifer Kigoma 90 gallon Mixed Malawi
75 gallon Mbuna growout
5x55 gallon Peacock colonies
40 breeder Furcifer Ruzibra growing out.
5x20 High growouts and projects.
55 gallon Archocentrus Semperfasciatus

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:05 pm
Jimbo Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I know a guy who would use clear plastic wrap, this worked and was cheap. I would do this with a little tape to keep it in place.

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:50 pm
Shokubutsu-San User avatar
Level 12 Member
Level 12 Member

I've used a sheet of clear plexiglass and cut it to size for aqua tops.

One thing to watch out for is that lights placed on top of it softens it and it will start to sag. But the you just keep flipping it. :lol:

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:18 am
imasaved Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I had a lot of tanks and I had some plastic cardboard type material I picked up for free and would cut a piece to fill hole and another one wider to go over glass and frame edge if Okay. Then silicone together and cut out for filters and pipes. Free and versatile.

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:45 pm
btn Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I have been trying to figure this out myself. When I ran a few cichlid tanks, I had holes in the tops for pothos and bamboo.

I just got in the mail a clear PVC table protector. I plan to cut in to strips and see how it works. I am not sure how it will do for the larger HOB cutouts, but we will find out. Some of the plexiglass materials are a bit pricey and can be a pain to cut.

Once I get some pieces cut and in place, I will post some pictures and let you know how it goes. Sagging will be an issue, but for a big roll for about $20, I thought it might be worth the risk.

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:45 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Twin wall polycarbonate.

Return to Do-It-Yourself Projects