Board index Aquaria Topics Do-It-Yourself Projects Looking for Advice on Building Fishroom Rack

Looking for Advice on Building Fishroom Rack

The MFK's DIY section! Enjoy with a PBR ASAP.

Moderator: Moderators

willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

What is your fish keeping objective? Is it to keep lots of different fish in many tanks, a few really spectacular tanks, lots of breeding or - in my case - breeding and raising just one species? A clear objective defines how many tanks you need and what size. The type of rack follows that analyses, not lead it.

This rack supports a 110 gal tall on the top and 75 gal on the bottom. All the weight is borne by the lumber, while the screws just hold the wood together. I used 2X6's because it supports over a ton of water. The critical portion of the stand looks like this.
abc.jpg

This rack supports a 30 Breeder on top, 40 Breeder in the middle, and another 40 Breeding on the bottom.
def.jpg
def.jpg (32.08 KiB) Viewed 59 times

BTW, the most important tank in my fish room is the quarantine/hospital tank. It should be kept separate from the others and needs to be a dedicated tank, not just an empty. Make sure you plan for that one first.

Good luck and see you at the show, Willie

jergrafs User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Thanks Willie,

this insight is very helpful. I want to do a variety of things. So, I should probably build around that variability with more specific intent.

Your photos are very helpful as well. I agree on the quarantine tank. I have that set up now.

I look forward to meeting you at the Expo, come say hi! :)
Check out my current fish list and photos:
https://aquarium.mn/members/profile/jergrafs

Previous

Return to Do-It-Yourself Projects