Board index Aquaria Topics Do-It-Yourself Projects Icemakers & Refridgerator Dispenser Filter

Icemakers & Refridgerator Dispenser Filter

The MFK's DIY section! Enjoy with a PBR ASAP.

Moderator: Moderators

Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Does anyone use one of these to remove Chlorine from their water? Says it lasts 12 months, hooks up to 1/4" tubing, and all that fun stuff with valves...

Would this work instead of jug by jug of tap water + water conditioner? Can't find any good info via searching here or Google.

Thanks,
°•¤{ Brian }¤•°
Trusted MFK seller since 2010
Lightening fast Text responses.

Image Please Like my facebook page. Thanks!

If you send me a text please include...
- - Your name & MinnFish nickname - -

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Filter is likely high grade carbon. Can buy similar carbon filters from companies that sell RO units and plumbing. get water storage container to place filtered water in. Get a pump to move water from storage to tanks.

Or

Get a hose to connect to tap, then add dechlor to tank before refilling

I would not try to use the refrig water line
Like a complete unknown

Tvadna Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

They're just carbon filters. You can use any carbon filter including those. If its cheaper or easier you can use a whole house style filter since the inlets should be threaded 1/2 or 3/4.
Although I'm not a fan of the push together fittings, you can use them with the 1/4 ice maker lines and flexible semi rigid plastic tubing which is convenient with a fish room because it can be moved from tank to tank. They tend to leak when moved a lot near the push together connection but hey, they're your floors.
If you didn't have a floor drain near by and didn't want to risk the leaking, you can always use a more secure compression style fitting when working with 1/4 tubing.

Return to Do-It-Yourself Projects