Board index Fish Talk Salt Water tidepools

tidepools

The MFK's very own salt water section.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:31 pm
eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Last month I was in Santa Cruz and I took a few photos of tidepool life. Since then I've been thinking...

Reef aquariums are hard work in large part because a coral reef is an extremely stable environment -- in a small volume we have to maintain an absolutely steady temperature, salinity, nitrate level, etc. Hence, high-maintenance.

A tide-pool, on the other hand, is a terrible environment! Over the course of a day it might bake in the sun, fill up with rain-water, partially dry up, or be polluted by rotting flotsam. Tidepool animals must be nigh indestructible. And yet, there are lot of great, beautiful plants and animals that mostly live in tidepools.

So... do people ever keep tidepool tanks? And, is it easier?

Post Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:23 pm
greencanvasinteriorscape Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I recall seeing YouTube videos where the level of water went up and down and corals and sponges and such were exposed for minutes if not longer at a time in the tank and it looked pretty darn cool although nothing looks as sad as a coral Out of Water hanging out groups but somehow they recover, the first time I saw my anemone out of water i thought that's it it's all over but it all works out somehow
I also think I remember a article in tropical fish hobbyist or someone built an up-and-down level tide pool tank and he raved about the results but it's an odd look and you have to be quite astute and getting things just right

Return to Salt Water