Board index Fish Talk Salt Water Diamond water

Diamond water

The MFK's very own salt water section.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:33 am
mxiong036 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I've been raising freshwater fish for a long time and every time a see a marine tank of some kind the first thing that pops up in my mind is, "How is that water so clear?" So my question is, does anyone know why salt water is so (often) more clearer then freshwater even when using the same filtration methods?
Reach me at bassassin036@gmail.com I check my email 24/7

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:42 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I'd say the main reasons are lack of tannins (from driftwood, plants etc) and the lighting used. Blue lights make water look clearer than the 6500k range used in fresh.

Salt tanks also tend to have much higher turnover, meaning the water might get filtered 10-20x per hour, whereas most fresh tanks might have filters capable of filtering the water 3-4x per hour.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:31 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Biomass is also a whole lot lower in salt water tanks, especially the reef tanks.

Willie

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:42 am
mxiong036 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Hmm I will take both of what you guys said in consideration. Because I want a crystal clear freshwater tank. But I hate under stocking a tank...lol

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 am
PONGO User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

protein skimming has a lot to do with the clarity of salt water, also many of use RO/DI water which has all tds removed, and the reasons stated previously
75 CA/Sa
75 Malawi

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:49 pm
johnny Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Those guys use RODI water to start with, and they used additives like GFO, Carbon, Purigen, etc to filter the water. An expensive protein skimmer is used to removed bio-waste 24/7. On top of that they have vigorous water flow to remove any detrius out of the tank and into filter socks. Then they do religious water changes just about every week and Ta-Da!! You too can have crystal clean water.

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:23 am
mxiong036 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

seems over whelming but hopefully using these little techniques an devices I can achieve clear water

Return to Salt Water