Board index Fish Talk Salt Water Biocube Lighting

Biocube Lighting

The MFK's very own salt water section.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:18 pm
thebigfish Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Will the stock lighting on a 29 oceanic biocube work for anenomies? I assumed it would and bought a long tenticle and a condy and reading about it some say it will and some not. How about soft corals? Do any of you do upgrades for a reef tank?

Also I jumped the gun on the condy and am worried about it stinging my corals. Has anyone had any issues with them? They say they are known to do it but first hand experience is always better.

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:40 pm
jgburns Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

thebigfish wrote:
Will the stock lighting on a 29 oceanic biocube work for anenomies? I assumed it would and bought a long tenticle and a condy and reading about it some say it will and some not. How about soft corals? Do any of you do upgrades for a reef tank?

Also I jumped the gun on the condy and am worried about it stinging my corals. Has anyone had any issues with them? They say they are known to do it but first hand experience is always better.

A couple of questions:
1) How long has the tank been up and running? The way you worded your post makes it sound like your tank is new.
2) What are the "stock" lights that come with the tank?
3) What are your water parameters - (morning and night)?

**Condys are pretty much one of the easiest and most durable anemones to take care of; however, it still requires decent lighting. The long tentacle will be less durable and more sensitive to lighting and tank parameters**

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 pm
thebigfish Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

jgburns wrote:
A couple of questions:
1) How long has the tank been up and running? The way you worded your post makes it sound like your tank is new.
2) What are the "stock" lights that come with the tank?
3) What are your water parameters - (morning and night)?

**Condys are pretty much one of the easiest and most durable anemones to take care of; however, it still requires decent lighting. The long tentacle will be less durable and more sensitive to lighting and tank parameters**

1) Ive had the tank a month but bought it set up and running (2 years)

2) I guess I dont know. I know they are compact florescent but not anything more. will have to check their website and that will probably answer my own question when I do.

3) I will have to check mornings. Night: salinity 1.024, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ph 8ish.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:27 pm
jgburns Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Power compacts should work just fine depending on the wattage of the fixture. You should be able to look at the bulbs and it will say the wattage. (Watts per gallon is normally a pretty inaccurate measure of success of a light fixture but its a good place to start).

Return to Salt Water