Board index Fish Talk Salt Water aiptasia

aiptasia

The MFK's very own salt water section.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:09 am
vang6716 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Hello every, I just wondering wha'st the best chemical for killing aiptasia. My friend told me 100% lemons juice will also kill them too. does anyone out there have use it before and does it safe for the fish?

Thanks,
Shawn

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:23 am
Bowser Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Kalk can be injected into them if you wanted to do that. You could always try peppermint shrimp or a copperband.

I've heard you can inject hot RODI water to kill them too.

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 am
joshua.jebe Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

the lemon juice works but you must squirt it directly into the mouth of the aptaisa with a syringe
Can anybody help me?

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!!

Post Thu May 02, 2013 3:32 pm
sbuse User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I always pull out the rock with them on it and burn them with a lighter. Works great.
S and L Aquatics

Quality fish at affordable prices!

http://www.sandlaquatics.com

Post Tue May 21, 2013 10:57 pm
bigboss User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Peppermint Shrimp. Had 3 of them in a tank that had like 30 aiptasia, over night 2/3 was gone. within the first week all the aiptasia was no were to be seen. I got them from petco, had my doubts but if it didn't do the job it was still a cool cleaner shrimp :)

Post Wed May 22, 2013 7:53 am
chefb_5 Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Have to go with bigboss idea I had the same problem and pep shrimp is the answer.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 pm
vang6716 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I did try the pep shrimp, however as soom as I put the pep shrimp in the tank my lion fish grap it.
Thanks for all input..

Post Wed May 22, 2013 5:58 pm
vang6716 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I'm looking to sale my black valiton lionfish, he is a medium size asking $60, also a maroon clown for $40. my number is 763-222-4313, if any interesting feel free to text me.

Thanks
shawn

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/f ... 25390.html

Post Thu May 23, 2013 6:32 am
musserjoe User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Post Thu May 23, 2013 8:51 pm
bigboss User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

not sure how big your tank is but you could just setup an 10gal QT tank and put the peppermint shrimp in there. take out the rock with the infested aiptasis (assuming the rock are small) and let the peppermint eat it overnight. or if you have room in your sump (assuming you are running a sump setup) you can throw the peppermint down there with the rock and let them chew it out.

Post Fri May 24, 2013 8:55 pm
Blue Demp Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

echoing peppermint shrimp. They'll be gone overnight.

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:34 pm
jgburns Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I would highly recommend using Red Sea's Aiptasia X. I have used it several times in my tanks (display and propagation) without any ill-effects to livestock or corals. Only treat a small number at a time as too much of the product can alter pH.

I have had terrible luck with peppermint shrimp too. While there is a chance they will snack on aiptasia, it is not their preferred meal. If you tend to overfeed even slightly the peppermint shrimp will likely ignore the aiptasia.

Return to Salt Water