Board index Fish Talk Salt Water salt water help

salt water help

The MFK's very own salt water section.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:20 am
yenghang5 Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

hey guy i setup a saltwater tank like a week ago. An i was woundering when can i add the fish in my tank. idk but the salt reading is kinda wierd sometime it read low an somtime it will read at 1.026....what is the best level salt reading for salt level ..i want to know can i add in the fish....cause im getting kinda bored looking at these rock an water hehhehehe :lol:
breeding some keeper peacock cichlid

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 pm
JayJeep Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Did you test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to see if your tank completed cycling? Once it has cycled you can do a water change to lower the nitrates then you can add fish. My guess is that it is not done cycling

Did you add anything like a frozen shrimp or something to start the cycle?

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:56 pm
yenghang5 Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

i put in a dead fish in thier...an some live rock

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 pm
bigboss User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

To answer your question, it depends. You can technically add a fish now, however if your tank is not matured you will see a lot of problems in the future and maybe kill your nemo :) Once your salts are mixed in and your tank is stable you can start adding fish, but go lightly. don't over do it by adding 10 fishes in one day.

SG
1.026 is the recommended SG,

personally for me:
I usually at 1.017 to 1.023 for fish only with live rock (meaning you don't have any coral yet so your not opening your lights for a long periods of time)
If I have corals, I would try to reach 1.020 to 1.026
most of the time i try to stay in the low ends because everyday water evaporates and the SG will go up. (you can avoid this if you get a auto top off system)

TO cycle a tank
I would recommend you to watch this, if you planning to it, do it right the first time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttR-RO7nXUE
(the guy goes off topic sometimes but its more direct to saltwater, technically it's the same as freshwater just that you are using live rocks to help speed the process.

I just tore down my 40BR Saltwater and will be restarting this summer once i drill my tanks.
btw If you using a hydrometer, don't use it. it's useless gives you false reading all the time. go get a Refractometer.

Ge

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:35 am
yenghang5 Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

so far nonthing dead yet............

Return to Salt Water