New FOWLR setup

The MFK's very own salt water section.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 am
fisherman7 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Great info guys, I appreciate it!

Does a 4 bulb fixture work with a glass top on a 30g (since the width of the tank is only 12")? Also, where is the best place to buy a light.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 am
~Rush~ User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

A 4 bulb fixture will most likely take up most of your tank width and leave little room for equipment but you can usually get a suspension kit with 4 bulb fixtures. The glass top is up to you - I removed mine because it kept accumulating salt creep and I hated cleaning it off every 3-4 days.

I bought my fixture from Foster and Smith. I got an Aquaticlife 4x 24w fixture. It has 4 moon light leds as well and it has a timer for three sets of lights. My actinics come on at 10am, my 10k's come on at 12noon and my LED's come on at 9pm. At 10pm my actinics and 10k's go out, and my leds stay on until 11pm. All on one digital timer. I love this fixture and it has allowed me to keep most LPS and softies with success. About the only things I probably couldn't keep are SPS, clams, and anemones.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:49 am
storrisch User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I prefer Tek Light because they are known for having a higher end individual reflector for each bulb. Here is a link to a 36" one available over at tcmas http://www.tcmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46818
Garrett B.

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:08 am
Bob1 Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

~Rush~ wrote:
A 4 bulb fixture will most likely take up most of your tank width and leave little room for equipment but you can usually get a suspension kit with 4 bulb fixtures. The glass top is up to you - I removed mine because it kept accumulating salt creep and I hated cleaning it off every 3-4 days.

I bought my fixture from Foster and Smith. I got an Aquaticlife 4x 24w fixture. It has 4 moon light leds as well and it has a timer for three sets of lights. My actinics come on at 10am, my 10k's come on at 12noon and my LED's come on at 9pm. At 10pm my actinics and 10k's go out, and my leds stay on until 11pm. All on one digital timer. I love this fixture and it has allowed me to keep most LPS and softies with success. About the only things I probably couldn't keep are SPS, clams, and anemones.

I have the same fixture, the actinic lights are they the ones that have a blue tint to the light. I have to reprogram my lights and they you have yours setup sounds great.

Previous

Return to Salt Water