Board index Fish Talk Salt Water controlling algae

controlling algae

The MFK's very own salt water section.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:36 am
Jasek Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I appreciate to get the info. Actually I recently bought a good protein skimmer after checking the review for my saltwater aquarium, which controls the pH level and cleans for longer times. I am quite satisfied till now and it has been close to 3.5 months.

By the way how do you guys control the algae growth? I am still researching the best way to control it.

Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:18 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

What type of algae in this saltwater tank? If you are unsure of algae name, what color is the algae?

Is this a reef or fish tank?
What are you feeding the fish?
What are you feeding the coral?

Have you controlled silicates yet?
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 pm
fisherman7 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Passionfish wrote:
What type of algae in this saltwater tank? If you are unsure of algae name, what color is the algae?

Is this a reef or fish tank?
What are you feeding the fish?
What are you feeding the coral?

Have you controlled silicates yet?

Like Passionfish is getting at, you tailor your algae control based on what parameters are off. In general, I run GFO and Carbon with my skimmer, try not to feed too much, vacuum my sand, use filter socks and try to grow macro algae. Oh and most importantly, I use RODI filtered water.

Post Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm
greencanvasinteriorscape Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

my best saltwater algae control has been turning off the lights come up thanks adapt and any bit of excessive light quickly becomes an LG producing element, and keep your water clean and such but too much light too much algae

Return to Salt Water