Board index Fish Talk Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians Finding alder cones locally

Finding alder cones locally

The place to chat about aquatic creatures other than fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:26 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

To any who keep shrimp or soft water fish...

Do any of you get alder cones locally? It seems like a waste to buy these cones, when for all I know, there are forests of this stuff around.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

maybe not locally picked? But there are some for sale here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=56298&p=277373#p277373

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:10 am
Moretroutbell Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I believe the alder trees grow out by the west coast in the US and cones possibly are everywhere on the ground certain times of the year. Like varieties of manzinita wood I believe we pay for it because it is not growing in our climate in the midwest and shipping costs also keep it pricey.
Speakin Tanganykian on the weekend has me freakin

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:15 am
Eric N Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

You can easily pick your own alder cones locally. Alder trees grow in wet areas and are commonly know as Tag Alders. It is technically a tree but most often grows as a large shrub. I pick mine all the time and use them to add tannins and lower the pH of softened water.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:07 am
Level 3 Member

Eric mentioned the Alder tree/shrub does grow in midwest and upon further review I do believe Minnesota and Wisconsin do have adler tree/shrubs and Eric is correct. Thanks Eric. :)

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:21 am
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, I just need to track down a tree/shrub. :)

Thanks for the info.

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:02 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Speckled alder is common in Minnesota. Green or Mountain alder is also found in Minnesota. These 5-6 foot bushes growing along shore of wetlands, streams and rivers. Various organizations publish maps as to which counties the species maybe found. However, it is likely alders are growing along any wet shoreline once they are introduced.

Red alder and black alder grow as trees to 35-40 feet and are seen in Western states. These alder trees are not sold commercially as these species are considered invasive.

Alders produce male and female catkins from their flowers. Both types of catkin are found on one tree or one bush. It is the female catkin that is formed into a cone shape, male catkin is pendant shaped. Both contain seeds.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:19 am
Level 3 Member

Interesting.
Do the different alder species cones range in different sizes? I thought the shrimp keeper ones generally sold were very small when I have seen them for sale on line. I would suspect cones from a 35 foot tree would be bigger than ones from a five foot shrub.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:08 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Not sure about size of cone compared to size of tree. However, one tree or one bush will grow out female cones of different size. Probably due to where on bush or tree and when buds came on.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:21 pm
Art Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Has anyone collected alder cones in MN and tried them in their tank?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:09 pm
Eric N Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

The European Black Alder is used by Hans Evers and Ian Fuller, two well known cory experts. This variety also grows as an invasive along the eastern seaboard of the US. I understand that this alder cone is also slightly larger than our local variety. Even though our local alder cones are smaller, they contain the same concentrated tannins as the larger ones. Our local cory expert, Rob McLure gave me the idea and the smaller local cones work well. Two alder cones are added to one gallon of water and in 24 hours the water has a good tint of tannins. This prevents fungus on my cory eggs. After 24 hours the tannins have done their work and I start to change out 50% of the egg container water each day till the eggs hatch. My observation is that the alder cones seem to have more readily available tannins than oak leaves. I think that alder cones would work well in an aquarium too.

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:00 pm
Level 3 Member

loverland wrote:
So, I just need to track down a tree/shrub. :)

Thanks for the info.

LOL. "If you wish to pass through these woods you will return with a shrubbery!"

"Oh knights who say "NI" you are so fair and just, we shall return with a shrubbery"

"Nothing too fancy ...... but make sure it has Alder cones now come to think of it!" :)

Post Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:57 pm
fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

I've always bought mine from this dude in Ely - Can't beat the price, and about 3-4 years ago he charges even less. I think I got a bag of about 2500 for $10 about 4 years ago, he must have caught wind that us fish guys use them. Sure beats the ridiculous prices the shimp guys are charging for them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-TINY-ALDER- ... vU4k0yYoQw
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:28 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a far more reasonable price. Thanks!

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:21 am
Baddis Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

sent you a pm.

Next

Return to Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians