Board index Fish Talk Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians Snails

Snails

The place to chat about aquatic creatures other than fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri May 23, 2014 11:47 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Just found my first snail. About the size of one of my pieces of sand. And, in looking closely at the tank, in just a couple of days holes have appeared in quite a few of my plant leaves!!! :x

The snail is dark. Looks like a plain old snail. Not anything neat. What can I get to toss in the tank that will eat those b******s so my plants will look nice?! Or Snail-B-Gone? Or what?

Stupid snails! I'm really pissed. Thought I'd dodged that bullet. Should have known better. :x
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Sun May 25, 2014 3:26 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Get a few assassin snails if you're concerned, they're snail predators and will eventually eliminate or virtually eliminate any 'pest snails'.

Odds are your 'pest snails' aren't actually doing any harm, and most likely they're just eating leftover food and preventing it from spoiling your water. Removal of most snail species is purely for esthetics imo.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Sun May 25, 2014 3:37 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Vashjir, I'm such a perfectionist. They're not Congo River/Basin biotope snails! They spoil the perfectness and set me on edge. I'm so nuts.

So, other than making me uneasy and grit my teeth, I should not worry about them? I do think I know where to get an Assassin Snail... I may do that. Then give the A. Snail back after he cleans up my tank.

Thank you muchly, Vashjir! Would you tell those guys, please, not to make the straight jacket so tight? :wink:

mk
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm
wannabiggertank Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I also hate the pond snails. I have some nerites, and enjoy them, but those darn pond snails breed like rabbits. Just ordered some assasin snails to help. Thinking about re-aquascaping. Is there a good recipe for a solution to soak my plants in to rid them of snails while I am re-arranging the tank?

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:37 pm
wannabiggertank Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Just got my assasin snails and put them in my small tank. They went right for the pond snails. Like bloodhounds. They are still small, but are ganging up on the larger snails. Amazing. I just hope they leave my Nerite snails alone.

Return to Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians