Board index Fish Talk Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians Ghost Shrimp - Keeping and Breeding

Ghost Shrimp - Keeping and Breeding

The place to chat about aquatic creatures other than fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:42 pm
King Crab User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Ghost Shrimps have been in the aquarium hobby for years and most times are treated badly due to being used as feeders. I would have to admit I too used them for feeding until I had 2 berried shrimps left and separated them into my nano tank. It took about 3 weeks being berried and hatching the eggs. The parents died several weeks after the eggs hatched and I was left with 6 baby ghost shrimps as most of them did not survive. I've had females breeding before with eggs hatching but never survived past the first week mostly dying to lack of food and back then I didn't really bother trying to keep ghost shrimps. The 6 shrimplets survived past the first week in my mature tank with perfect water 0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, algae, live plants, a sponge filter, and infusoria to eat. They are free swimming upside down in a vertical position with no legs developed until after a week they will start growing bigger as minature adults with legs and foraging for food. Fast forward to now 3 months later they are adult size, 2 males and 4 females currently berried. I just confirmed today there are up to 15 shrimplets that made it past the first week and more to come. Just thought I would share as most people only use them as feeders. It is possible to breed ghost shrimps under the right circumstances and they do not need brackish water.

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:34 am
dontbend Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

that's cool, nice to know.

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 pm
mikeh7172 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I love watching my ghosts. They have gotten much bigger than the 1.5 inches all the experts say. a few of mine are over 2 inches. I had two berried but the eggs disappeared and I haven't seen any lil swimmers. Now I have 12 RCS in a screened off portion of my 55g to see how well they do.

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:11 pm
kretty Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I cant keep any alive for the life of me. They all die within two weeks. They are in a mature and cycled tank. Lots of stuff to eat. They all seem healthy and slowly die off. What am i doing wrong? They are in with a few guppies. So no predetation. I have no idea. Wish i had your luck...

Return to Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians