Board index Fish Talk Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians fertilizing with shrimp

fertilizing with shrimp

The place to chat about aquatic creatures other than fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:56 am
Omaknits User avatar
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I have a 20 gal planted tank with live-bearers and cherry shrimp. I recently re-did the substrate with Flora-Max and added a ton of new plants from MAS plant sale. Now I want to fertilize. I tried Seachem Flourish but in two weeks of dosing .6 ml, 2 times/week, the shrimp started dying. So I stopped the Flourish. Before trying Flourish, my shrimp were flourishing. What do you recommend for ferts that won't kill the shrimp? I read that copper is something you want to avoid with shrimp but Flourish has copper.

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 am
alcimedes Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I've done Flourish root tabs in a planted/shrimp tank with no problems.

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:05 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Yes avoid copper with any invertebrates. Im my planted tanks with shrimp I use Osmocote indoor/outdoor, which is a slow release fert in a bb like form that contains no copper. I make capsules of it with 2 part gel caps to make it easier to shove into the substrate.
Just make sure you don't get the Omocote plus since that does contain copper and other trace elements that may harm inverts. Both are available at bachmanns.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:07 pm
Omaknits User avatar
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Thanks Vashjir and alcimides. I will try these ideas. Thanks.

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:51 pm
King Crab User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Omaknits, I would suggest you test your water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate as shrimp need nearly perfect water. How long ago has it been since you redid your tank? You may want to wait until it has cycled or matured as I suspect that may have killed the shrimps. I have used multiple ferts including the ones u named and not affect any fishes/shrimps. Just don't add too much and use the recommended dose.

Post Fri May 02, 2014 4:26 am
pygo User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Big water changes can also kill shrimp. Could be nitrates too high nitrates can be poisonous at higher ppm.
Saint Paul
(651) 434-3449

Return to Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians