Board index Fish Talk Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians Assassin snails not eating pond snails

Assassin snails not eating pond snails

The place to chat about aquatic creatures other than fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:11 pm
Andi User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Have any of you had a problem of assassin snails not eating the problem snails?
I have several small totes that I set up with various types of mosses and other small plants. Many of the plants came in with pond snails. I do have shrimp in some of these totes and smash the snails for a treat for the shrimp. I haven't seen a reduction in shrimp (from the assassin snails), but unexpectedly have seen a rise in the pond snail population in almost all of the totes. This has been going on for probably over 6 months now. The snails gladly steal shrimp food and feast on the crushed snails, but I've never seen them even attempt to catch a pond snail. They just scoot right past them. Any ideas? I've tried cutting down on the food, but that doesn't seem to help either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>«(((º> <º)))»< >«(((º> <º)))»< >«(((º>

Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Maybe they aren't assassin snails. :lol:
Last edited by Beaker on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

rawalstrom Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I'm sure the snails are thinking, "Why try harder than I must to get food?"
A hungry Assassin will eat your pond snails.
Ryan

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson

Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

rawalstrom wrote:
I'm sure the snails are thinking, "Why try harder than I must to get food?"
A hungry Assassin will eat your pond snails.

This would be my guess too.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Never kept assain snails, maybe they are different than other snails.
When there is a lot of food being added to my tanks, MTS and other snail populations explode.
If these assain snails are being fed well, is the population increasing? Is the pond snail population increasing?
Like a complete unknown

Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Passionfish wrote:
When there is a lot of food being added to my tanks, MTS and other snail populations explode.
If these assain snails are being fed well, is the population increasing? Is the pond snail population increasing?

If everything is being fed well pond, mts and ramshorn snails will all outbreed assassins. Assassins lay 5-20 single eggs once a month or so when mature (at least 6mo, maybe a year old), those others will lay thousands of eggs (or in the case of mts give live birth to that many) in that same period of time. The assassin babies take a while to emerge from the substrate and grow very slowly, maybe 1mm/month, but they eat a ton of baby pest snails while growing.

Eventually the only 'extra food' will be in the form of pest snails, and then the assassins will start to slowly make up ground, but just reducing feeding amounts will help the problem much faster.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:45 am
Soup3777 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Vashjir wrote:
Passionfish wrote:

If everything is being fed well pond, mts and ramshorn snails will all outbreed assassins. Assassins lay 5-20 single eggs once a month or so when mature (at least 6mo, maybe a year old), those others will lay thousands of eggs (or in the case of mts give live birth to that many) in that same period of time. The assassin babies take a while to emerge from the substrate and grow very slowly, maybe 1mm/month, but they eat a ton of baby pest snails while growing.

Eventually the only 'extra food' will be in the form of pest snails, and then the assassins will start to slowly make up ground, but just reducing feeding amounts will help the problem much faster.

+1

or to help out get a snail trap and manually remove. Then the population won't be big enough and assassins can snipe whats left. But overfeeding is definately going to make the population keep exploding.

Andi User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Sorry for not responding sooner.
I have no doubt they are assassin snails. Over feeding? Definitely not. Some of the totes have only plants with assassin snails added to control the pond snails- so there's no feeding in those. I'm careful to not over feed with the shrimp.
Something I just thought of (and haven't researched yet) is if the temp makes and difference. None of them have heaters, but I don't use the air conditioner hardly ever. The temp of the rooms are always in the 70s or 80s, so I figured it wouldn't be an issue. Do they prefer it warmer or cooler?

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:22 pm
pygo User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Andi wrote:
Sorry for not responding sooner.
I have no doubt they are assassin snails. Over feeding? Definitely not. Some of the totes have only plants with assassin snails added to control the pond snails- so there's no feeding in those. I'm careful to not over feed with the shrimp.
Something I just thought of (and haven't researched yet) is if the temp makes and difference. None of them have heaters, but I don't use the air conditioner hardly ever. The temp of the rooms are always in the 70s or 80s, so I figured it wouldn't be an issue. Do they prefer it warmer or cooler?

Have you found any empty snail shells? I keep my tank at 82.
Saint Paul
(651) 434-3449

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:27 pm
Andi User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

No. The pond snails even crawl on them.

Return to Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians