Board index Fish Talk Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians Blue frog found

Blue frog found

The place to chat about aquatic creatures other than fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:00 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does anyone know if it's common to find a blue frog on your back porch in Eagan? Sadly, it was dead, as it got caught in our sliding door. But, I looked on the DNR site, and their list of frogs indigenous to MN shows nothing remotely close to blue. Of course, I wasn't smart enough to take a picture of it before I disposed of it.

Now, maybe its color shifted to a bluish after it died? Maybe someone with frog death ( :shock: ) experience can answer that.

My hope is it wasn't someone's pet that they let out into the wild. We were just talking about that problem here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42170

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 pm
A+ Tropical Fish User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

loverland wrote:
Does anyone know if it's common to find a blue frog on your back porch in Eagan? Sadly, it was dead, as it got caught in our sliding door. But, I looked on the DNR site, and their list of frogs indigenous to MN shows nothing remotely close to blue. Of course, I wasn't smart enough to take a picture of it before I disposed of it.

Now, maybe its color shifted to a bluish after it died? Maybe someone with frog death ( :shock: ) experience can answer that.

My hope is it wasn't someone's pet that they let out into the wild. We were just talking about that problem here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42170

take it out of your garbage and put in ziplock and freeze it on ice and dnr will recover it. I dont expect you to take it out of your garbage and toss in the refrig freezer, but maybe a cooler with ice or insulated fish box on ice?
A+ Tropical Fish and Maintenance
Phone: (763)222-5457
Email: pleco.predatory.oddball.keeper@gmail.com

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wish I could, but I tossed it into some brush so that my dog wouldn't sniff it out and eat it.

Post Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 am
musserjoe User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Post Wed May 08, 2013 8:54 am
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was carrying a beer, but I saw no sun glasses. Maybe a different, but related species?

Post Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 am
musserjoe User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Post Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 am
alcimedes Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

When you say blue, do you mean bluish or brilliant blue?

Entirely blue or just a patch or two of blue?

Post Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a brilliant blue. Darker blue. But, it seemed too big to be a tree frog, and it didn't have the traditional marking of normal MN frogs.

Post Thu May 09, 2013 11:03 pm
catphish Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Whites treefrog? Some are brilliant blue. But not from around here. The common green treefrog found in Minnesota also has a blue color phase.

Return to Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians