Board index Fish Talk Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians African Dwarf Frog

African Dwarf Frog

The place to chat about aquatic creatures other than fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 am
rawalstrom Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Is anyone keeping these with a Betta?
I've been wanting to set up my Fluval Spec V with a very few small inhabitants and plants and came across the option of ADFs. I would want the single male betta and a male/female pair of the frogs. Some say they work and others disagree. What are your thoughts and experiences?

Ryan
Last edited by rawalstrom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:34 am
Level 3 Member

And yes, it may all just depend on the betta's personality.... But i'm not satisfied with that answer.
According to what I have read, if I introduce the frogs first and the betta a week or two later, I may have a greater chance of success.

Ryan
Ryan

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:04 am
TuCanSam User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Have had a male Betta and two ADF in the same 20L for about 6-8 months now...never considered there would be a problem..
nothing thus far...plenty if hiding spots for them but as far as i can tell Betta doesn't even know they exist...
It all started with a betta and a bowl...

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:59 am
Level 3 Member

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell, I'll just have to dive in headfirst and see what happens.
With only 5 gallons of space in my tank, the betta may take notice of the frogs. I do plan on having plenty of hidey holes where the betta won't be able to get comfortably.

Ryan
Ryan

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 am
MommaCray61 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Hi, I have a femaile betta with my ADF and they are doing great.

At first she was curious about the frog and the frog was freaked out! Lots of froggie hiding places and now they swim with out fear. The frog keeps her entertained and there's no agression at all. Feeding works out good also. Her bits float and his bits drop so she eats well and the frog eats well.

ps; the frog "Steve" loves to eat ghost shrimp! They are great tank cleaners and if he gets them then its a bonus.

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 am
Level 3 Member

That's a great idea! I was wondering what my clean-up crew would be. I don't mind throwing in a couple ghost shrimp every once in a while.
I might try a nerite too.

Ryan
Ryan

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:52 am
scottv User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I've had them together with success in the past in 5 gallons and larger tanks. So long as the betta is peaceful towards the frog so aquascaping works wonders.
I love Amphilophus

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:30 am
Level 3 Member

Thanks scottv. I will be planting and putting in driftwood and rock. There should be enough hiding places and broken lines of sight. Did you ever have a problem with the betta going after the frogs when they surfaced for air?

Ryan
Ryan

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:07 pm
MommaCray61 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

No Air problems with my 2 so far. When he goes up for air the betta just kinda follows him like "are you ok?" it's funny. But then it's a female betta and shes really mellow. She'll kill a guppie in a heartbeat but likes her white minow and frog tank mates.

Return to Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians