Board index Fish Talk Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians Too many Snails

Too many Snails

The place to chat about aquatic creatures other than fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:11 pm
RichfieldJoe Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Please see the attached pictures.

I have A LOT of snails in my 90 gallon has been nice to help clean, but they are getting a little out of control.

In your opinions should I manage them by removal or adding a predator? I just did add some Australian yabbies, but they are 1-3" currently.

Let me know what you think!
Attachments
IMG_5299.JPG
IMG_5300.JPG

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:49 pm
My2butterflies Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Wow! That is a lot. I’d remove as many as possible with a net that has holes big enough to let the sand through, but small enough to keep most snails in.

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:42 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

My goldfish love them. But honestly they're great for the substrate. They really should only come out when the lights are out, so they shouldn't be much of a pest. If you have more than you'd like, you'll need to get some out or get something that will hunt them down. You can place some zuchinni in there inside a bottle or container, then remove them. When you've done that enough, you have to control your feeding. Their population is directly related to how much food is leftover.

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 pm
RichfieldJoe Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Does anyone have a use for them? I hate to just toss them and kill them.

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 pm
My2butterflies Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

If you’re on Facebook you can post them there and see if there is any interest. I’m not sure if stores would want them. I have lots of snails myself, so I don’t need more. Haha.

Return to Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians