Board index Fish Talk Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians Red cherry shrimp established colony move to bigger tank Q?

Red cherry shrimp established colony move to bigger tank Q?

The place to chat about aquatic creatures other than fish.

Moderator: Moderators

greencanvasinteriorscape Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I was given a colony of 40 + red cherry shrimp in a two gallon planted glass urn with a lid and a sponge filter and all I've done is feed them for about 6 months barely have had to top off the water with the glass lid that it has, but I have located a much larger cylinder vase that I'd like to move them into and I'm hearing many things about them being susceptible to change, what might I do to facilitate a non-fatal move for these guys?
Thanks in advance!
Alan

d33pVI Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Cherry shrimp are pretty tough once they get established, so I wouldn't worry too much.

That said, if all you have been doing is replacing evaporated water with fresh top-offs you may want to get a TDS meter and start slowly implementing water changes into your routine. If you only top-off evaporated water, whatever is dissolved in the water will keep on accumulating into higher and higher concentrations.

If and when you do move them to a larger vessel, don't add any more water volume right away or the rapid change in TDS could cause problems. I would suggest measuring the TDS currently in the vase and comparing that with your tap water (or whatever it is you use for water changes.) If there is a large discrepancy between the two, start by removing a small amount of water and replacing it with a little bit more than you remove, and repeat the process until you eventually fill up the larger tank to capacity over the course of a few weeks.

Level 4 Member

Good advice, because of the lid it hasn't needed much topping off, but I'll check the tds, where can I get one? Hydroponic store?
Thanks

twinsfan Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Level 4 Member

Thanks for the home depot tip

Return to Invertebrates, Reptiles and Amphibians