Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition 1st batch of homemade food

1st batch of homemade food

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:10 am
lifelinefish Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Ok so my 1st ever batch of homemade food for my trophies was just made up and refrigerated. I am waiting for it to gel and will freeze at that time. I processed some large NLS cichlid, Kens tropheus lover flake, algae wafers, spirulina powder, frozen baby brine, frozen peas, fresh spinach,and 1packet of unflavored gelatin and 1/2C of boiling water. I will let you know if it's a hit with me fishes.
Last edited by lifelinefish on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Any item that has not been reported as fish food or an ingredient of fish food needs to be tested in fish. Chia seeds have not been tested. Therefore you will want to test it. I suggest using a less expensive fish than Tropheus but a fish with same length of intestine (about 10').

Chai seeds are sold in health food stores. One of many claims is weight loss. Proposed mechanism of action is seeds expand in stomach to create a full feeling. There is no evidence to support this claim but if seeds do take up water and swell, it would be a poor food for Tropheus, mbuna or plant eating fish.
Like a complete unknown

Level 7 Member

You know Bob that's what I was kind of thinking. I know that they do swell when soaked in water. So maybe best to forgo it and just use the other planned ingredients. Thanks for your input.

Level 20 Member

Good luck with food
Like a complete unknown

1-2ride User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Tropheus are the last fish id be trying out any experimental food on.

Level 20 Member

Should have remarked about paper and using chia seeds to feed tilapia. I have not read this study. This is what I know.

Tilapia are typically aggressive fish as they need large area to gather food from and do not want other fish in their feeding territory. They grow very fast and that is one reason why they are raised in aquaculture. Another reason is the flesh is not oily. Tilapia are omnivores with short intestines.

I believe seeds need to be tested in algae grazing cichlid before adding seeds to Tropheus diet.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:59 pm
Level 7 Member

Bump no chia added

Post Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:41 am
mnfishkeeper Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I made my own gel fish food also, I use raw market shrimp, talipia, nls pellets, hbh veggie flakes, organic baby food peas(so I don't have to peel them!), Knox unflavored gel. mix it all up and got a good mix to feed my frontosa, discus, rays, and other fish in the fish room with. So far all the fish loves it and eats it no problem.

Post Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:02 pm
Level 7 Member

Tropheus so far are not a big fan of it. They picked on it for a bit but that was about it. It may take some time j

Return to Foods and Nutrition