Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Opinions on: Southern D' light fish foods

Opinions on: Southern D' light fish foods

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

pygo User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Has any of you used this fish food and if so whats your thoughts on it.
Saint Paul
(651) 434-3449

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Have feed Southern Delight. A few different varieties are offered. Tried all of them and all but one was consumed rapidly by my fish. Fish grew and bred while consuming these pellets. Fish color was also good.

There are many pellets on the market. IME and IMO, some pellets are not full consumed or are not fully digested by fish. The result is water is fouled sooner requiring frequent water changes. With Southern Delight, more of the pellet is digested and less undigested food appears in feces. The water remains clear and algae or other organisms do not bloom. This extends the period between water changes. There are no studies to prove this is true or false to my knowledge.

The only caveat to my recomendation is a relative lack of readily available information on ingredients and analysis. It is good to have this information.

There are no studies in regards to effieceny of SD pellets and one must use anecdotal evidence to determine suitability of food for one's fish; the studies that do exist for product ingredients are not studies that examined ingredients in a formulation. Studies for ingredients need to isolate a single ingredient for study. Most studies are designed to determine toxicity of a single ingredient even if the ingredient is general considered safe. An example is studying water ingestion by humans. Based on rodent studies, if 100 individuals drank 100 ml (about 3 oz) of water per kilogram then 50 of those people would die. To restate this: If a person weighing 110 lbs drank 19 gallons of water then there is a 50% chance that person would die. It is this type of study whether it be rodent studies extrapolated to humans or aquatic species studies extrapolted to fish foods that lead to confusion regarding ingredients.
Like a complete unknown

pygo User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Passionfish wrote:
Have feed Southern Delight. A few different varieties are offered. Tried all of them and all but one was consumed rapidly by my fish. Fish grew and bred while consuming these pellets. Fish color was also good.

There are many pellets on the market. IME and IMO, some pellets are not full consumed or are not fully digested by fish. The result is water is fouled sooner requiring frequent water changes. With Southern Delight, more of the pellet is digested and less undigested food appears in feces. The water remains clear and algae or other organisms do not bloom. This extends the period between water changes. There are no studies to prove this is true or false to my knowledge.

The only caveat to my recomendation is a relative lack of readily available information on ingredients and analysis. It is good to have this information.

There are no studies in regards to effieceny of SD pellets and one must use anecdotal evidence to determine suitability of food for one's fish; the studies that do exist for product ingredients are not studies that examined ingredients in a formulation. Studies for ingredients need to isolate a single ingredient for study. Most studies are designed to determine toxicity of a single ingredient even if the ingredient is general considered safe. An example is studying water ingestion by humans. Based on rodent studies, if 100 individuals drank 100 ml (about 3 oz) of water per kilogram then 50 of those people would die. To restate this: If a person weighing 110 lbs drank 19 gallons of water then there is a 50% chance that person would die. It is this type of study whether it be rodent studies extrapolated to humans or aquatic species studies extrapolted to fish foods that lead to confusion regarding ingredients.
I have to agree with you I just tried out the nano krill. I have to say I've been looking for a good pellet for my cardinals tetras and they seem to love it im very impressed so far. Thanks for your thoughts.
Saint Paul
(651) 434-3449

Return to Foods and Nutrition