Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Bloodworm Allergies-Please be careful

Bloodworm Allergies-Please be careful

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:05 am
aniqster Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I've used Freeze Dried bloodworms for over 10 years. Sometimes my eyes would get a little itchy after feeding my fish, so I made it a point to just dump it out into the tank instead of touching it with my fingers. I never thought much into it.

A few weeks back, I cut open and bag of bloodworms and put the contents into a gallon zip lock bag-something I've always done. A bit of dust poofed up from the bag and I started sneezing. Within 2 minutes, my throat had swollen shut to the point I couldn't breathe. Since I couldn't talk and I thought the heavy snow/traffic would result in a 911 response being delayed-I drove myself to the closest ER (how, I have no idea). That move pretty much saved my life. I've never had an allergic reaction to anything before so I was stunned!

Surprisingly, the doctor was familiar with Anaphylactic shocks resulting from bloodworms! Apparently it happens more than we can imagine. After looking into this issue online, it looks like a lot of people are allergic to the dust from freeze dried bloodworms.

If you think you might be slightly allergic to bloodworms, please be careful. You never know when you might have a full blown attack.

Feel free to google this issue. Here is just one link: http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/f ... _59169.php

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 pm
Pierre User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Great post! I've herd of people having allergic reactions to them but non as severe as yours... Glad to hear you made it to the ER in time!
No fish room here... Just a bunch of tanks :twisted:

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Good to hear you are alive. It is high likely that you would not have survived without medical treatment.
An epinephrine injection would be first response to symptoms described. If no Epi is available, going to ER is best option. Even with an Epi injection, going to ER is mandatory following an injection.

It is true that folks have allergies to blood worms. Quite a few members of MAS that are allergic to blood worms. Those that are allergic will not allow frozen bags to be anywhere close let alone thawed open bags. Freeze dried would exposure would be worse due to dust inhalation and rapid onset of respiratory symptoms.
Like a complete unknown

Chee_dog Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to them, always get itchy and build up rash after touching them. I also would say I am allergic to bloodworms, period. Even the frozen ones have made my fingers swell up, I'll stick to my beef heart and flakes.

turtlesoul20 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I find my hands get rash and swollen after touching frozen bloodworms. I still using them but always wash my hands with warm water and soap right away after each feeding. Glad you ok.

Post Sun May 18, 2014 12:56 pm
yamachopper Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I work for a shop that does refills for Omega One products at half price which includes Freeze Dried Bloodworms and we're down to just a couple of employees that can handle them without having severe allergic responses. I personally won't touch them anymore. And the frozen worms will make my hands break out in a rash as well. I really surprised there isn't a warning on the labels of the cans or packages of bloodworms.

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:41 am
Tomaskos2 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Thanks for the info!

Return to Foods and Nutrition