Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition So what is the Salinity for making Saltwater to hatch BBS

So what is the Salinity for making Saltwater to hatch BBS

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jimbo Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

As the title states, I have a meter and would like to know the true ready as I'm tired of guessing every time I make a batch.

born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I don't think it's at all critical. I have heard that the eggs will even hatch in fresh water, but the nauplii die almost immediately. I use about 3 tablespoons of table salt in a little less than a gallon of water, but am not at all careful about the exact amount. The eggs hatch fine and the shrimp live at least 24 hours in that water (though I try to feed them as soon after hatching as possible).

I can't tell you what salinity that is, but all accounts and my own experience say that it's not critical. I used to use twice as much salt with similar results, but decided it's a waste of salt and figure the shrimp might be a little less salty coming from the weaker brine even after being rinsed.
Andy

Your tanks aren't too small. Your fish are too big.

KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

25 ppt. I vaguely remember ruining a TDS meter trying to do the same thing. Pegged it off the scale. Never trusted it again. It wouldn't come back into calibration.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Hatchi ... -c169.html

As Andy suggests, it's not very critical. I had a disposable cough medicine measuring cup (2 tablespoons ?) that I filled with water softener salt and added to about 1-1/2 quarts of water. (If I'm remembering right)
KenB

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Agree with Ken and Andy.

My reciepe is 1/4 cup solar salt crystals to 3 - 3.50 quarts of water. According to BSD, I should add 2.4 quarts of water to this quantity of salt. One would think that much variability in ppt of salt, it would affect hatch rate but it has not been so for me.
Tap water and must tank water has pH of 8 -8.2 so OK there.
Use a light box to provide light and elevate temperature.
Use vigorous oxygenation.
Like a complete unknown

born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

+1 on the vigorous aeration. I used a weak pump for a while and noticed a serious diminution in yield. I do add a "pinch" of baking soda to my hatch solution also since my water isn't very hard. Not sure if that makes a real difference, but it borders on free and I'm too lazy to do a comparative study.
Andy

Your tanks aren't too small. Your fish are too big.

fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

I hatch around 1.025 salinity. The higher the salinity the longer it takes to hatch. I don't think they artemia survive well in salty water for all that long. I don't ever dechlor the water either, just right out of the ol tap.

I usually do an early harvest about 18 hours in as id say about half of them have hatched at this time. I drain half the water in the hatchery while harvesting and then refill with luke warm tap not adding any salt. The remaining eggs usually hatch out after another 4 hours or so.
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

Return to Foods and Nutrition