Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Opinions-Xtreme Food

Opinions-Xtreme Food

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:34 pm
mccumber09

I just grabbed some of this food this weekend. All of the fish shops talk it up like crazy, I'm not sure if it's because it's the most expensive or because it's actually awesome. Opinions????
(I have Malawi cichlids. Both Mbuna and Peacocks (separate tanks) )

Thanks!

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:42 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

If Xtreme is most expensive, they have bumped their prices higher.
Tried it a few years ago and fish liked it and did well. However, even then price was too high for quantity I need.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:59 pm
Cloud20 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I currently use Xtreme for my Africans and they seem to do just fine. I used to use New Life Spectrum and my cichlids did well with that food too. I thought NLS was a bit smelly and my girlfriend thought it was REALLY smelly so I decided to try Xtreme. The prices that I've seen at stores in MN are rather expensive so I buy larger quantities from ken's fish.

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:58 am
mccumber89 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Passionfish wrote:
If Xtreme is most expensive, they have bumped their prices higher.
Tried it a few years ago and fish liked it and did well. However, even then price was too high for quantity I need.

What food do you prefer for your Malawians?

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 pm
Level 20 Member

mbuna tank is primarily brine shrimp flake purchased from brine shrimp direct.
Haplochromines are mostly on 1 mm pellets now. In past I have fed up to 3 mm sized pellets. I have used a number of pellet brands in past. None have been a disaster but some pellets contain ingredients that lead to increased algae or undigested portion of food fouling water. Pellets that do not lead to water fouling are typically more expensive. Currently using pellets from brine shrimp direct.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 pm
mccumber89 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

What do you think about feeding glass worms to haps/peacocks? I got a buddy that said he could get me them for free. I know you can feed them black worms. but wasn't sure about glass worms.

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:38 pm
Level 20 Member

I feed glass worms today to mbuna and haps. They are alive and swimming. Maybe it will help ripen some females!!!
Like a complete unknown

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:22 am
mccumber89 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Cool! Then I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:54 pm
~Rush~ User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

+ 1 for Xtreme aquatic foods. I don't have africans but I use the peewee cichlid pellets for my south americans and they love it. Great ingredients list as well.

Return to Foods and Nutrition