Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition DIY FOOD?

DIY FOOD?

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:47 pm
willxiong Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Didnt know whether I should post here or on the food section but what are some DIY food that I could feed my fish or fry? :lol:
"Fish are friends, not food."

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:16 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Homemade gelled food has been fed to all size cichlids for many years per reciepe below. It is called Shrimp Mix

2 lb of whole shrimp
2 lb of frozen peas
10 grams of spirulina powder
1 gram of astaxathin
10 tablets of multivitamins
1/4 lb of gelatin

Grind
thawed shrimp and peas to fine consistency. Grind multivitamin tablets, add these along with other powder additives and mix.
Prepare gelatin on stove top with water as instucted on gelatin package. Turn stove down to lowest heat and slowly add food mix, when consistency is even, turn stove off. Now pour mixture into ice cube trays or use wax paper on cookie sheet or plastic containers. Spread food onto cookie sheet in thickness desired or into plastic mold or ice cube tray. Chill until food is solid. Now cut into feeding chunk size, seal food for freezer storage.

An alternative is to grind up pellets and add pellets to the mix above or just grind up pellets and add to gelatin as Mike suggested.
It would not surprise me if Repashy prepared gelled food in his kitchen for years, then one day it dawned on him how to market a food based on gel principle.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:17 pm
Level 20 Member

Best DIY food is cultured live foods, there are quite a few books out on how to culture fish foods.
flies, worms, eels, brine shrimp, small fry, etc
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:18 pm
Level 20 Member

Read this thread
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=40035

Read the entire form labelled foods/nutrition. There are many threads concerning DIY foods.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:47 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Or you can just buy frozen foods, high quality and cheap, from Chuck on this forum and avoid messing up your kitchen. :D

Willie

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:53 am
K_Discus Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

willie wrote:
Or you can just buy frozen foods, high quality and cheap, from Chuck on this forum and avoid messing up your kitchen. :D

Willie

+1 :D
MONSTER FISH

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:24 pm
fishfun Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I would also have to agree with Willie, we are lucky to have that available to us, take full advantage of it.

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:02 am
abmcdonald Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

If you are interested in making some DIY fish food don't let the others discourage you. I agree Chuck (chawks is his screen name on here) has great and cheap frozen food, in fact this reminds me I need to get in touch with him relatively soon to get some more frozen fish food from him. But I also feed my fish a lot of DIY fish food that I have made. In fact it is my fish's main diet supplemented with frozen food from Chuck no flake or pellets at all. Why? because I enjoy doing it. I can also buy all my food at the grocery store but still choose to have a garden. To each his own.

The recipe and link from Passionfish is more than enough to get you started if you want. There are thousands of other recipes if you just search the web. Generally once you get started your imagination is the limit and the ingredients will depend on what type of fish you have and what their dietary needs.

Return to Foods and Nutrition