Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition what is next step in food for fry?

what is next step in food for fry?

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:03 am
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Hello, so my rainbow frys are eye-balled at about half an inch in size and are currently adapting to decap bbs instead of live bbs. I've noticed that they haven't been eating the decap as much as the live bbs, and their stomachs aren't as big as they used to be when they were smaller and eating the live bbs. I'm starting to think that the bbs has become too small for them. What is the next step in food for vigorous growth?

I have not try the frozen daphnia and currently don't have any experience with daphnia or cyclops I don't know how big they are. I've tried to chop up frozen bloodworm as fine as I could, but thats still too big for their mouths. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:15 am
tg MAS Board Member
MAS Board Member

I feed my rainbow fry live bbs until they are at least 1 inch. I hatch a teaspoon a day for my fishroom. I consider it the most important fry food as you just can't beat the attraction of live moving foods.
I alternate with flake food, crushed to an appropriate size for the fish I'm feeding.
I also like a micropellet from Hikari but they are pricey http://www.hikariusa.com/diets/micropellets/

Some have had good results with vinegar eels, but they are small like bbs.
There are also Golden Pearls in sizes larger than bbs. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-suppli ... crons.html

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:56 am
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Some of the gents on rainbowfish.org have been using repashy as a good step between food for fry that aren't quite ready for the larger frozen foods yet. Some dust the surface of the tank with a very small amount, others have made it according to direction and hung it in the tank using a mold. With my gertie fry, I used the dusting method, which seemed to work great. (Right up till she got eaten... long story.) Basically "she" went from infusoria, quickly to bbs and microworms, up to frozen daphnia and repashy. Newly hatched bbs are great, but I'm a believer in varying foods as much as possible, to try for a nutritional balance similar to what they would find in nature.

If a little gertie fry could take daphnia, I'm willing to bet your bigger rainbows wouldn't have a problem with it either.

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:06 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

For a cheap and easy fry growout food I like this stuff Its small enough for .5" fry, high protein and well accepted by every fish I've tried it with, from cichlids to saltwater gobies.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:26 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

tg wrote:
There are also Golden Pearls in sizes larger than bbs. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-suppli ... crons.html

I also like feeding a variety of sizes of Golden Pearls. I always got mine from Brine Shrimp Direct, along with all of my other foods.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/

Don't be afraid of offering live BBS to any sized rainbowfish. Even my adults go nuts for them.
KenB

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:20 am
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Thank you guys and gals! I've decided to go back to hatching bbs again as well as continued to incorporate the decap bbs along with it to see if I can gradually switch them to non-live food. They love the live stuff and not the much the decap. Strange but they seem to also enjoy eating the hikari bites more than the decap. Today I retried chopping up the frozen bloodworm as finely as i could and noticed that most of them were able to eat it now so that opens up alot more variety of food that I can find at the locate pet stores.

Return to Foods and Nutrition